Annika Clark Wins Medalist Honors at 96th WTGA State Am
BRYAN – TCU junior Annika Clark birdied half of her final six holes Tuesday during the Qualifying Round of the 96th WTGA State Amateur Championship at Traditions Club. The Highlands native finished at 3-under-par 69 to earn Medalist honors.
Already a TGA Major Champion, Clark won the 94th playing of the WTGA State Amateur in 2015 at Ridgewood Country Club in Waco. Sharp with her irons and wielding a hot putter, Clark put herself in good position again. Along with the Medalist honors comes the No. 1 overall seed headed into the 32-player match play bracket, which will be contested throughout the remainder of the week.
“I was pretty solid all the way around today,” said Clark, who recorded two top-10s for TCU last season. “I made quite a few birdies. The whole day I was just making some really good putts. I had four feet pretty much all day for par, so it just felt really solid.”
Clark won the Qualifying Round by three shots over Oklahoma State senior Maddie McCrary from Wylie, Bowling Green junior Erin Fahey from Austin and University of Houston junior Allie Anderson from The Woodlands. McCrary, Fahey and Anderson each shot even-par rounds of 72 on the demanding Jack Nicklaus and Jack Nicklaus II-designed golf course perched about a 3-wood from the Texas A&M campus.
Five players tied for fifth place at 1-over 73. Among them are UH senior Megan Thothong, the Dallas native who won the 2015 Women’s Stroke Play Championship and The Woodlands’ Brooke McDougald, a junior at TCU and teammate of Clark’s. Also sharing fifth place are Victoria’s Chloe Velasco, a Texas A&M junior and one of three Aggies playing on home soil this week, Orange’s Lauren Cox, a junior at North Texas, and Lauren Comegys, a James Madison University sophomore from Austin.
The 88-player field faced hot and humid conditions Tuesday. By 10 a.m., the temperature already was north of 95 degrees. In the late afternoon as players finished their rounds, the mercury touched 97 with a heat index of 106.
Julie Lucio was the Junior Medalist at 5-over 77. The senior at Rancho Viejo High School was a three-time winner this year on in Southern Texas PGA Junior Golf events. She finished tied for 23rd place, earning a spot in the Championship Flight match play bracket.
Leslie Henry from Ennis shared the Senior Medalist honors with Kelley Nittoli from San Antonio. They each shot 10-over 82 and tied for 40th place overall.
Thirty-two players advanced to the Championship Flight for match play. The remaining players are placed into flights according to their GHIN Handicap Index.
Clark said she didn’t plan on making too many strategic adjustments as match play ensues Wednesday morning.
“There are a couple holes out there I might approach differently,” she said. “There’s a hole out there where you can take driver towards the green, and I think may do that. Other than that, I had a pretty aggressive mindset out there today. I’ll keep that going into match play and be really aggressive on the birdie putts.”
Home to the Texas A&M Men’s and Women’s golf teams, Traditions Club offers myriad challenges from tee to green. The fairways twist and turn throughout stately hardwoods, while natural creeks and wetlands loom on the edges. From certain spots on the course, golfers are greeted with views of the campus and Kyle Field, home of the 12th Man and some of the most passionate college football fans on earth.
The private club has played host to numerous elite events, including the 2011 NCAA Women’s Championship. An NCAA Women’s Regional tournament was played here in 2016; next year it will host an NCAA Men’s Regional. Ranked 45th in the Dallas Morning News’ Top 100 courses in Texas, Traditions Club also weclomed the 2015 Texas Four-Ball Championship, 2014 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Championship and annually hosts the Aggie Invitational.
Throughout the rich history of the WTGA State Amateur, the championship has produced an impressive list of winners. In all, 13 past champions have been elected into the Texas Golf Hall of Fame, including four who went on to be inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame.
The Round of 32 begins Wednesday at 8:30 a.m.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes