Colby Harwell Wins 2017 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play
Last year at Northwood Club in Dallas, Colby Harwell lost a heartbreaker in the championship match of the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play to Zach Atkinson. The hard-fought match came down to the final hole, with Atkinson eventually prevailing. On Sunday morning, Harwell again found himself in the championship match. This time, he didn’t let the match come down to the 18th hole. Harwell avenged last year’s loss and became the 2017 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play champion with a 3 and 2 defeat of Scott Abbott at San Antonio Country Club.
Harwell said his loss last year to Atkinson “lit a fire” underneath him, and he certainly played like it all week.
In the championship match, Harwell never trailed and was always in control of the match. The match was all square at the turn, but the back nine was all Harwell. He won holes 10, 11 and 12 to go 3-up, capitalizing on two Abbott bogeys. Abbott responded by winning No. 13 to trim the lead to 2-up, but with Harwell’s putter heating up, there was never a doubt.
“Just making those couple putts (on 11 and 13) really helped,” Harwell said. “It was just solid golf. That’s all it was.”
On No. 16, Harwell hit his approach 20 feet short of the hole. The ball never left its line, and Harwell walked it in the hole — a move that has been his signature on the clutch putts he’s made this week.
He took medalist honors with a 5-under 67 during stroke-play qualifying on Thursday to nab the No. 1 seed. Then he outlasted Ted Waldrip in a 21-hole match in the Round of 32. He then easily dispatched his next two opponents to reach the semifinals against Danny Simmerman.
Harwell controlled the match early, but a flurry of birdies on the back nine from Simmerman gave him a 2-up lead with four holes to play. It looked like the revenge tour might be cut short. But Harwell battled back to win three of the final four holes to advance to the final match.
Familiarity with the course certainly helped Harwell claim the title. He is a member at Oak Hills Country Club, but with renovations underway across town, Harwell has been playing frequently at San Antonio Country Club.
“I was really just trying to play just like I was when I would come out and play the couple of rounds a week I play out here,” Harwell said after the round. “Just keep the ball in the fairways, get it on the greens and try not to three-putt.”
Next up for Harwell is the U.S. Amateur at Riviera Country Club, which he qualified for two weeks ago. Although the competition will be a little stiffer, his game certainly seems to be rounding into form at the right time.
“This really gives me a lot of excitement going into the U.S. Amateur here in a couple weeks,” Harwell said. “I’m ready to go.”
San Antonio Country Club is a founding member of the TGA from 1906. The Alex Findlay-designed course, which has seen renovations under the eye of A.W. Tillinghast, Jay Morrish and Joseph Finger, has played host to a slew of notable non-TGA events throughout the years. It welcomed Harry Vardon and Ted Ray in 1913 for an exhibition match, was a favorite of Dwight D. Eisenhower when he was stationed at Ft. Sam Houston prior to World War I, and hosted the Trans-Mississippi Amateur in 1967.
The Texas Golf Association extends its warmest and most sincere appreciation to the staff, Board of Governors, and the membership at San Antonio Country Club, as well as our volunteers, for their integral part in making the 2017 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play a memorable and successful event. For more information about this championship, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!14 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes