Costello Fires 66 to Take Lead at South Amateur Presented by Impact Precision Golf
HORSESHOE BAY – Nick Costello carded a flawless 6-under-par 66 on Saturday to take the lead in the South Amateur presented by Impact Precision Golf. The Austin native navigated Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Slick Rock Course with relative ease on moving day, using six birdies to post the low round of the tournament and reach 9-under through 36 holes.
Costello followed his 3-under 69 from the opening round with a bogey-free performance in round two. He did all of his damage in the first 12 holes, reaching 6-under for the day after a trio of birdies starting on No. 10.
“I was just trying to shoot lower than I did yesterday,” Costello said. “I know I left some out there.”
Costello has not been pleased with his swing this week, calling his ball-striking “messy,” but his short game has propelled him up the leaderboard. His course knowledge has also been a key to his success. The former Austin Westlake standout and current Texas Longhorn is very familiar with the Hill Country course.
“I used to play some junior tournaments out here,” Costello said. “I know what scores are usually good out here and what usually wins, so I have a target (score) set for each round.”
A trio of capable players lurk just two shots behind Costello at 7-under par. Jake Goodman, of San Antonio, recorded six birdies and just one bogey on the day as he shot 67. Austin’s Henrik Olsson followed his 69 from Friday with a bogey-free 68 in the second round. And 2013 South Amateur champion Tony Soerries posted 69 to join the party at 7-under.
This tournament is only Soerries second competitive event of the year, and he wasn’t sure what to expect coming into Friday. But his competition experience has shown as he has played himself into contention heading into Sunday.
“I’m sure I’ll be nervous, but I’ve got a lot of years under my belt. I should be able to handle it,” Soerries said.
Another shot back sits Robert Quinilty, of Cyrpress, and Tim Hamm, of Austin, at 6-under par. Hamm used a strong back nine where he recorded four birdies to keep himself in the mix. Trevor Sauntry, of Houston, is another shot back.
In all, 15 players sit within seven shots of the lead, including Andrew Jacobe, the leader after 18 holes. Jacobe struggled to get any momentum going on day two as he battled to a 1-over 73.
The final round of the South Amateur begins at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday. Click here for tee times, scoring and additional information.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes