Martin Wins George Hannon Junior Invitational
Martin Wins George Hannon Junior Invitational
BASTROP – Garrett Martin of San Antonio double bogeyed his opening hole in the final round of the George Hannon Junior Invitational at Wolfdancer Golf Club. He lost his one-shot lead, but not his patience. Martin rallied five birdies over his closing 17 holes to post a 1-under-par 71 and win by six shots. Madelyn Jones battled down the stretch to card a 1-under-par 71 of her own and clinch the Girls Division by one shot. Matthew Comegys held onto his Round 1 lead over the Boys 14 & Under Division with an even-par final round 72 to win by five.
Martin, 17, followed his double bogey on the first hole with a bogey on the par-4 second. After a routine par on the par-5 third, Martin settled into his round. He birdied the par-3 fourth, par-5 fifth and par-4 eighth to turn in even par 36.
“I just kept telling myself that good things will come and just be patient,” Martin said. “I just tried to focus on hitting fairways, hitting greens and I knew the putter was really helping me all week.”
Martin finished the tournament at 5-under par overall. He was the only competitor in the Boys 15-18 Division to finish in red numbers. The rising junior at Johnson High School said he plans to carry the momentum into the upcoming school year.
“I haven’t had the summer I quite wanted, but I finally was able to find something in my game,” Martin said. “I’ll have a lot of confidence going into this next junior year.”
In the Girls Division, it was the battle of the Jones’. Madelyn Jones of Austin and Hailey Jones of Dallas were neck and neck the closing six holes. The two-time Legends Junior Tour Girls Player of the Year, Hailey, fired an opening nine 4-under-par 32. She held a five-shot advantage heading into the back nine. After giving three shots back to field on holes 13 and 14, Hailey found herself tied for the lead.
Her playing competitor, Madelyn seized the opportunity. The rising junior at Westlake High School birdied the par-4 15th and par-3 17th to lead Hailey by two shots with one hole to play. Madelyn made par to clinch the victory.
“I love playing in this event,” Madelyn said. “It is a really big honor this year especially because I got an exemption in it two years ago and now I’ve earned my spot and really honored to win.”
In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Comegys of Plano struggled out of the gates. He doubled bogeyed his first hole and followed with a bogey on the par-4 second. The 14-year-old walked to the fifth tee box after another bogey on the par-3 fourth at 4-over par on his round. But like Martin, Comegys was resilient. He played his next 11 holes in 5-under par highlighted by three consecutive birdies on holes 13-15. He finished the round at even par to post 3-under for the tournament and claim his first Legends Junior Tour title.
“I hit the greens and made a lot of pars, limited the mistakes and capitalized on the opportunities that I had,” Comegys said.
The Legends Junior Tour extends its warmest and most sincere appreciation to the staff and members of Wolfdancer Golf Club, our volunteers as well as the Hannon Cup Society for their integral part in making the 2017 George Hannon Junior Invitational a memorable and successful event. For more information about this championship click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes