Park, Fojtasek, Jr. Lead North Texas Classic
GRAND PRAIRIE – Carrollton’s Sangmin Park and Dallas’ Randall Fojtasek Jr. fired 4-under-par 68s Saturday afternoon to lead the third North Texas Classic at Tangle Ridge Golf Club in Grand Prairie, Texas.
Dallas’ Hailey Jones, the two-time defending LJT Girls Player of the Year, leads the Girls 12-18 division after a 1-under-par 71 in her opening round. Argyle’s Gaven Lane shot a stellar 5-under 67 in the Boys 14 & Under division Sunday afternoon.
Grand Prairie’s Tangle Ridge Golf Club has hosted the North Texas Classic since its inception in 2015. The Jeff Brauer designed golf course challenges players with elevation changes, subtle Champion Ultra Dwarf Bermuda greens and the perfectly placed fairway bunkers. The Boys 15-18 division is playing 6,795 yards, while the Boys 14 & Under division is playing 6,340 yards and all girls are playing 5,979 yards.
Park started on the 10th hole and came out on fire. He birdied the short, par-4 11th and then had back-to-back birdies on the 14th and 15th holes, and another on the 18th. His 4-under opening nine allowed him to play steady, consistent golf on his back nine, making just a lone bogey on the second hole, but ended his round with a birdie on the ninth.
Fojtasek Jr. had a different route to his opening round 68. He started out 1-over par on his opening nine, then had a birdie on the 10th hole, followed by an eagle on the 11th. He had a par on the 12th, followed by three straight birdies. He bogeyed the 18th hole, but shot a 5-under 31 on the back nine.
Austin’s Evan Vo and San Angelo’s Jansen Smith sit just one shot back of Park and Fojtasek Jr. after Saturday’s first round. Vo started hot, getting to 5-under through 14 holes, but made two bogeys in his final four holes. Smith started even-par through his first 10 holes, then caught fire down the stretch. David Harrison, Cole Fisher, and Tucker Allen all shot 2-under 70 and sit two back of the leading duo.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Jones carded four birdies on the front nine, including back-to-back on the difficult 520-yard par-5 eighth hole and the short, par-3 ninth. She missed a four foot birdie putt on the 10th hole, but followed it up with a birdie on the short, par-3 11th hole. She was 3-under through the 13 before making back-to-back bogeys at the 14th and 15th.
Jones leads by two shots over Alden Wallace of Shreveport, La. Wallace’s 1-over 73 included three birdies in her first four holes. She struggled down the stretch but still sits in solo second place behind Jones. Plano’s Ashley Liu and Carrollton’s Symran Shah sit in a tie for third place after 4-over 76s.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Lane, the Texas State Junior Champion, had seven birdies on his scorecard. He started hot, carding a birdie on the second hole, and followed it up with three more on his opening loop. His steady play allowed three more birdies on the back nine.
Lane leads by two shots over Flower Mound’s Rohit Madireddi. Madireddi’s 2-under 70 was constistent, carding 14 pars, three birdies and one bogey. Andrew Spaulding of Spring sits in third place after a 1-under 71. Jake Bendetti and Aj So sit a tie for fourth place heading into Sunday’s final round.
Final round tee times are scheduled to begin at 8:00 AM off the first and 10th tees Sunday morning. For more information on the North Texas Classic and the Legends Junior Tour, please visit www. TLJT.org
For complete first round results, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes