Smith Claims Third Victory of Season at North Texas Classic
GRAND PRAIRIE – San Angelo’s Jansen Smith came from behind Sunday afternoon to secure his third victory of the Legends Junior Tour 2017 season. His final round 4-under 68 was enough to win by one shot at the North Texas Classic at Tangle Ridge Golf Club in Grand Prairie, Texas.
Dallas’ Hailey Jones, the two-time defending LJT Girls Player of the Year, shot a final round, 3-under 69 to win going away for her third victory of the season as well Argyle’s Gaven Lane recorded back-to-back 5-under 67s to run away with the Boys 14 & Under division Sunday afternoon.
Grand Prairie’s Tangle Ridge Golf Club has hosted the North Texas Classic since its inception in 2015. The Jeff Brauer designed golf course challenges players with elevation changes, subtle Champion Ultra Dwarf Bermuda greens and the perfectly placed fairway bunkers. The Boys 15-18 division played 6,795 yards, while the Boys 14 & Under division played 6,340 yards and all girls played 5,979 yards.
Smith, a high school senior committed to Texas Tech, had a birdie on the short, par-4 third hole, but then struggled, relatively, for a seven-hole stretch, going 1-over during that span. Then something happened and he went 4-under his next four holes, including an eagle on the par-5 13th hole. He had a bogey on the par-4 16th, but made a birdie on the final hole, a 521-yard par-5, to secure the win.
Finishing one shot back of Smith was Austin’s Evan Vo. He carded a second 3-under 69, but it was a bogey on the final hole that pushed him into second place. He carded a mistake-free round, including four birdies, heading into the 18th hole, but couldn’t get a par. This was Vo’s highest finish in the Boys 15-18 division.
First round leaders Sangmin Park and Randall Fojtasek Jr. finished in a tie for third place. Both shot 1-under 71 and finished two shots back of their playing partner, Smith. Joseph Park shot a final round 5-under 67 to jump into solo fifth place. Jake Holbrook and Luke Dossey finished in a tie for sixth place.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Jones played consistently through her opening nine, carding eight pars and one birdie. She opened her back nine, the par-4 1st with a bogey, but followed it up with back-to-back birdies on holes two and three. She closed out a victory with a birdie on her closing hole, the short, 121-yard par 3.
Jones ran away with the tournament, winning by seven shots over Shreveport’s Alden Wallace. Wallace shot a final round 2-over 74. Caitlyn Lindell finished in third place, followed by Symran Shah, and Taylor Mieras rounded out the top 5.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Lane, the Texas State Junior Champion, had two hole outs from roughly 50 yards to have two eagles on his card. He had only three birdies Sunday afternoon, compared to seven in Saturday’s opening round, but those two eagles certainly can make up ground quickly.
Lane’s back-to-back 5-under 67’s allowed him to run away with the Boys 14 & Under division, capturing the title by seven strokes over Flower Mound’s Rohit Madireddi. Plano’s Matthew Comegys, winner of last month’s George Hannon Junior Invitational, shot a final round 2-under 70 to jump into a tie for third place with Andrew Spauling of Spring.
For more information on the North Texas Classic and the Legends Junior Tour, please visit www. TXGA.org
For final results, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes