Smith Claims Third Victory of Season at North Texas Classic
GRAND PRAIRIE – San Angelo’s Jansen Smith came from behind Sunday afternoon to secure his third victory of the Legends Junior Tour 2017 season. His final round 4-under 68 was enough to win by one shot at the North Texas Classic at Tangle Ridge Golf Club in Grand Prairie, Texas.
Dallas’ Hailey Jones, the two-time defending LJT Girls Player of the Year, shot a final round, 3-under 69 to win going away for her third victory of the season as well Argyle’s Gaven Lane recorded back-to-back 5-under 67s to run away with the Boys 14 & Under division Sunday afternoon.
Grand Prairie’s Tangle Ridge Golf Club has hosted the North Texas Classic since its inception in 2015. The Jeff Brauer designed golf course challenges players with elevation changes, subtle Champion Ultra Dwarf Bermuda greens and the perfectly placed fairway bunkers. The Boys 15-18 division played 6,795 yards, while the Boys 14 & Under division played 6,340 yards and all girls played 5,979 yards.
Smith, a high school senior committed to Texas Tech, had a birdie on the short, par-4 third hole, but then struggled, relatively, for a seven-hole stretch, going 1-over during that span. Then something happened and he went 4-under his next four holes, including an eagle on the par-5 13th hole. He had a bogey on the par-4 16th, but made a birdie on the final hole, a 521-yard par-5, to secure the win.
Finishing one shot back of Smith was Austin’s Evan Vo. He carded a second 3-under 69, but it was a bogey on the final hole that pushed him into second place. He carded a mistake-free round, including four birdies, heading into the 18th hole, but couldn’t get a par. This was Vo’s highest finish in the Boys 15-18 division.
First round leaders Sangmin Park and Randall Fojtasek Jr. finished in a tie for third place. Both shot 1-under 71 and finished two shots back of their playing partner, Smith. Joseph Park shot a final round 5-under 67 to jump into solo fifth place. Jake Holbrook and Luke Dossey finished in a tie for sixth place.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Jones played consistently through her opening nine, carding eight pars and one birdie. She opened her back nine, the par-4 1st with a bogey, but followed it up with back-to-back birdies on holes two and three. She closed out a victory with a birdie on her closing hole, the short, 121-yard par 3.
Jones ran away with the tournament, winning by seven shots over Shreveport’s Alden Wallace. Wallace shot a final round 2-over 74. Caitlyn Lindell finished in third place, followed by Symran Shah, and Taylor Mieras rounded out the top 5.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Lane, the Texas State Junior Champion, had two hole outs from roughly 50 yards to have two eagles on his card. He had only three birdies Sunday afternoon, compared to seven in Saturday’s opening round, but those two eagles certainly can make up ground quickly.
Lane’s back-to-back 5-under 67’s allowed him to run away with the Boys 14 & Under division, capturing the title by seven strokes over Flower Mound’s Rohit Madireddi. Plano’s Matthew Comegys, winner of last month’s George Hannon Junior Invitational, shot a final round 2-under 70 to jump into a tie for third place with Andrew Spauling of Spring.
For more information on the North Texas Classic and the Legends Junior Tour, please visit www. TXGA.org
For final results, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes