UNDERSTANDING COURSE SLOPE RATING
Perhaps no golf course terminology is more misunderstood than “Slope.” Most golfers believe that the higher the Slope number, the more difficult the golf course. The Slope is actually not a measure of a course's difficulty. That's the responsibility of the Rating figure. The Slope is a measure of how much difference a course's difficulty is for the average bogey golfer compared to the scratch golfer.
Most golfers know that there is a Course Rating for each set of tees based on a scratch golfer’s game. A “scratch golfer” is defined as a player who can play to a Course Handicap of zero on any and all rated golf courses. What most don’t know, however, is that there is also a Bogey Rating established for each set of tees based on the golfer who has a Course Handicap of approximately 20 on a course of standard difficulty. The difference between these two ratings is the major determining factor in the Slope Rating.
The Texas Golf Association is charged with rating the golf courses in Texas. These rating teams are often asked before they can even finish up their calculations: “What do you think this course will Slope at?” No answer can be given because there is no way to predict such a thing. But why the strong interest in the Slope Rating and not the actual Course Rating? Again, it’s the misconception that the “Slope” is the main indication of how difficult a golf course is.
In many cases, there be such a sizeable variance between the Course Rating and Slope Rating. Why? There are several reasons, but the short answer is that the standard yardages used in the rating procedure are significantly different for the scratch golfer than they are for the bogey golfer. That means things such as water hazards, trees, and bunkers might be a strong factor for the scratch player and not for the bogey player, and vice-versa.
“A lot of golfers want to try and draw a meaningful conclusion about a course’s difficulty by comparing Slope Ratings from one course to another,” said Kelly Kilgo, Senior Director of Membership Services & Course Rating for the TGA. “This may or may not be true depending on the level of golfer you are, but it is mainly the Course Rating, not the Slope Rating, which is the more dominant factor defining course difficulty.”
Simply put, the Slope Rating is the evaluation of the relative difficulty of a course for a non-scratch golfer compared to a scratch player. The Slope Rating is used to convert a player’s USGA Handicap Index to a course handicap. This is how the USGA Handicap System adjusts a player’s Course Handicap for each set of tees on each course according to that relative difficulty of a course. A course with a Course Rating of 73.0 will always be more difficult for a scratch golfer than a course with a Course Rating of 70.0. Slope tells how “proportionately” more difficult a course is for higher handicap golfers.
Maybe this will help clear up some of the misconceptions about Slope Ratings and how they factor in to the Handicap System, not necessarily in the difficulty of the golf course.
For questions regarding a course’s Slope Rating, please contact Kelly Kilgo by phone at (214) 468-8942 or by email at [email protected].
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 22 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes