Dossey Cruises to Victory at Bluebonnet Championship After 3-Under 69
BROWNWOOD, Texas – Austin’s Luke Dossey posted a stress-free 3-under-par 69 Sunday afternoon at the Bluebonnet Championship to capture the title by three shots.
Austin’s Caylnne Rosholt cruised to victory in the Girls 12-18 division, winning by four shots after an even-par 72 at Brownwood Country Club. Keller’s Kaelen Dulany captured his first Legends Junior Tour victory after a 1-under-par 71 Sunday afternoon.
The Bluebonnet Championship, now in its 17th year, has been hosted by Brownwood Country Club since its inception in 2001. Brownwood native, Bart Johnson started the event and asked the Legends Junior Tour to conduct the event beginning in 2007. The Championship’s past winners include PGA Tour winners Patrick Reed and Cody Gribble and several notable players that have had very successful college careers.
Since the Legends Junior Tour began conducting the Bluebonnet Championship, it has consistently produced one of the largest, and strongest, fields of the year. This year, the championship had over 225 applications to play in the 132-player field.
Dossey’s round Sunday afternoon started with six straight pars before coming to the par-5 seventh hole. He birdied that hole and closed his opening loop with a 1-under 34. He made the turn and birdied two of the first three holes on the back, the difficult par-5 10th and easier par-5 12th. His lone hiccup was on the dogleg right, par-4 16th hole, but by then he had a comfortable lead.
He birdied the par-5 18th for good measure to close at 3-under-par 69 final round, which was one of the details he focused on this week.
“I was really trying to take advantage of the par-5s this week, since they are all reachable in two,” Dossey said. “I was able to do that this afternoon, having tap-in birdie putts on four of the five par-5s.”
After struggling at UIL Golf Regionals and his U.S. Open Qualifier, this victory will give him confidence moving forward. He has UIL Golf State Championships followed by the Byron Nelson Junior Championship, where he will try to be the first person to repeat as champion since Jordan Spieth won three consecutive times from 2008-10.
Dossey finished three shots ahead of Temple’s Dallas Hankamer, who fired a 4-under 68 Sunday afternoon. Flower Mound’s Rohit Madireddi, winner of this year’s James A. Ragan Memorial, finished alone in third place after back-to-back 2-under 70s. Cody Winkler, Hunter Bott, and Sangmin Park finished tied for fourth place at 3-under 141 for the tournament.
In all, 27 players finished at even-par or better for the tournament on Brownwood Country Club’s 6,357-yard layout. With ideal temperatures and minimal wind, the course yielded several low numbers.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Rosholt got off to a steady start, carding a birdie on the par-5, third hole, but followed it up with a bogey on the par-3, fourth. She was mistake free the rest of the front nine and finished it off with a birdie on the par-4 ninth for a 1-under 34 on her opening loop. Maddi Olson of Abilene started the day two shots back of Rosholt and was even-par through her front nine.
Rosholt bogeyed the 10th hole and Olson birdied the 12th to cut it to a one-shot lead, but Olson couldn’t hang on, carding three bogeys in the next four holes. That left Rosholt the breathing room she needed. She had birdie on the par-3 17th to all but secure her victory.
Olson finished alone in second place after a 2-over-par 74 and even for the tournament. Melena Barrientos, Ryann Honea, and Chandler Rosholt, Calynne’s sister, finished in a tie for third place at 2-over 146 for the tournament.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Dulany played consistently all day, making three birdies against only two bogeys. His 1-under 71 was tied for the best round of the tournament in the division with Andrew Petruzzelli, who finished in second place.
Petruzzelli’s 1-under 71 vaulted him up a spot after being tied for third place entering Sunday. Sebastian Moss finished in third place after a 1-over-par 73 in the final round. Karson Grigsby and Keaton Vo finished tied for fourth place to round out the top five.
The Legends Junior Tour will have a month break before the Byron Nelson Junior Championship, one of the most prestigious junior events in Texas. The invitation-only championship will take place June 5-7 at Lakewood Country Club in Dallas. For more information on the tournament or the Legends Junior Tour, please visit www.TXGA.org.
For final results, please click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 11 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...