Osborne, Irving Lead Texas Four-Ball after Round 1
CARROLLTON – Defending Texas Four-Ball champions Will Osborne and Josh Irving on Thursday picked up right where they left off at the year’s first Major Championship. Two of the best mid-amateurs in the country, Osborne and Irving lead the Championship division of the 2018 Texas Four-Ball after combining to shoot 4-under-par 68 at Maridoe Golf Club.
(Click here for complete scoring)
Osborne and Irving won the 2017 Four-Ball at Crown Colony in Lufkin by five shots. This time around, they hold a two-shot advantage over a pair of teams headed into the second round of the 54-hole best ball stroke play event. Osborne, the 2017 North Texas Player of the Year, made six birdies on the day, including a stretch of three in four holes early on the back nine.
“I pretty much rode Will all day,” said Irving, a two-time Texas Player of the Year (2015-16). “I hope he keeps it up and I play better.”
Like the rest of the 80-team field, Osborne and Irving battled one of the toughest layouts in Texas with gusting winds that reached 20-25 mph. Open for less than a year, Maridoe already has amassed a reputation as a ball-strikers’ course that demands attention on every single shot. Despite his stellar play, Osborne was not about to refute that notion.
“You have to hit it really straight, and you have to think your way around here a lot,” he said. “It kind of suits my game. You have to place it in the right spots off the tee and think about where you want to be coming into the greens. It’s tough.”
Two behind Osborne and Irving are Jordan Woolf and Jace Moore, as well as Marcus Jones and Tyler Thomas.
Woolf and Moore birdied three of their final four holes to post 2-under 70.
“Jace carried me all day,” Woolf said. “I hit into the greenside bunker on No. 6 and hit a pretty good shot. Then on No. 7, I was able to hit the green in two and two-putt for birdie. But, geez whiz, Jace made about a million pars with me in my pocket. It was really good teamwork.”
Jones and Tyler came into the Texas Four-Ball with a competitive edge on the field. They’re both members at Maridoe and know better than most how to attack the difficult golf course. They made the turn at 1-over, then played the next seven holes at 4-under par.
“It’s gotta be a huge advantage to have played this course a lot of times,” Jones said. “This course is all about angles and strategy. We’ve hit the wrong shots enough times around here that we kind of know the right ones to hit.”
In the Senior division for amateurs ages 55 and older, four teams are tied for the lead with 36 holes to play. Kip Estep and Wayne Wright; Mark Crisco and Michael Schille; Craig Hall and John Pierce; and Alan Hill and Richard Hageman all posted even-par 72s. They all lead two teams by a single shot.
“It’s a really difficult golf course,” said Pierce, who finished third at the 2017 Texas Senior Amateur and was runner-up in the 2016 Texas Senior Am. “It’s firm, fast. The greens are demon-like. You haven’t done anything putting the ball on the green. It seems like you’re always playing defensive golf around here.”
There’s also a tie for the lead in the Super Senior division (65 and older). Texas Golf Hall of Famer John Grace and his partner Bill Holstead share the top spot on the leaderboard with Joel Eastman and Woody Thames. Both teams finished at 1-over 73. They all lead Michael Arnold and Bruce Benner by three shots.
Built on the land that formerly housed the Honors Club (and before that Columbian Club), Maridoe opened July 15, 2017, as a completely new golf course. Steve Smyers, the Florida-based architect best known for his renovations at Isleworth Golf & Country Club and Olympia Fields Golf Club, created a thrilling and challenging masterpiece on the 212-acre parcel of land in north Dallas.
The Maridoe membership is committed to supporting the game at its highest levels. Open less than a year, the club already has hosted a USGA Senior Amateur qualifier, the Texas Shootout and a University of North Texas Women’s Collegiate Invitational in addition to the Texas Four-Ball Championship.
Maridoe will host a U.S. Amateur qualifier this summer. It’s scheduled to host the 2019 Texas Mid-Amateur and will continue to pursue its goal of establishing itself as a friend of the TGA, USGA and the game of golf.
For this week’s Texas Four-Ball Championship, the Championship division plays the par-72 track at approximately 7,295 yards. The Seniors tackle Maridoe from about 6,770 yards, and the Super Seniors play from close to 6,320 yards.
The second round of the 2018 Texas Four-Ball Championship begins Friday at 8 a.m.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes