Austin's Fox Shoots 65 To Win 92nd Texas Junior Amateur
HORSESHOE BAY, Texas – Austin’s Macy Fox fires a 7-under 65 in the final round to win the Girls Division of the 92nd Texas Junior Amateur at Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Slick Rock Golf Course.
Trailing by two strokes after 36 holes, Fox teed off in the penultimate group and started her day with a birdie on No. 1. She made a bogey on No. 2 and then made par on her next six holes before another birdie on nine.
“I had chances on the front side but wasn’t making any birdie putts until No. 9,” said Fox, “The birdie on nine gave me some momentum and it carried over into the back nine.”
After making the turn at 1-under-par, Fox made a birdie on the par-5 10th, the par-5 12th and then four straight birdies on holes 14-17 to get to 11-under overall. She got up and down for par on the 18th, which capped off her sensational 6-under 30 in the final nine holes of the championship.
The win earns Fox a spot on The Dorothy Franey-Langkop Trophy, which is awarded to the winner of the Girls Division of the Texas Junior Amateur. The event has a strong list of past champions, which includes Angela Stanford, Courtney Dow, Annika Clark, Hailey Jones, Kelsey Vines and Bronwyn Burke.
Kingwood’s Elise Parel finished runner-up in the Texas Junior Amateur at 9-under 207 overall. Parel posted rounds of 68-70-69 to get to 9-under overall, making 18 birdies total through the 54-hole championship.
Austin’s Bentley Cotton and Jensen Jalufka, who were paired with Parel in the final group on Wednesday, finished third and fourth in the championship. Cotton shot 1-over 73 in the final round to get to 4-under 212 overall, while Jalufka shot 3-over 75 to get to 2-under 214 overall.
Eubin Shim of Waco, Calynne Rosholt of Cedar Park and Leah Alberto of Kingwood all tied for fifth in the Girls Division at 1-under 215. Maddi Olson finished eighth, Kaylee Vesely finished ninth, while Delaney Martin, Jackie Feldman and Madelyn Jones tied for 10th.
Maggie Ni and Natalie Cao tied for 13th at 220 overall, while Libby Singleton rounded out the top 15 at 221 overall after shooting 2-under 70 in the final round.
The Texas Junior Amateur is the largest junior golf tournament in the state. The event features 240 players spread out over four divisions. The Girls Division competed on the Slick Rock Golf Course at Horseshoe Bay Resort on July 23-25, while the Boys and Girls 14 & Under Divisions played 36 holes on the same golf course. The Boys Division played 54 holes on the Summit Rock Golf Course at Horseshoe Bay Resort.
Horseshoe Bay Resort has hosted the Texas Junior Amateur in eight of the last nine years. The Slick Rock Golf Course was designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr. and features bentgrass greens along with more than 70 bunkers and a dozen water hazards on the course. The par-72 layout was stretched out to 6,011 yards for the Girls Division this week.
The 60-player field in the Girls Division was cut to the low 27 players after Tuesday’s second round. Players that were 10-over or better after 36 holes made the cut and played on Wednesday. Of the 27 players that made the cut, 10 of them were even-par or better in the final round.
This was the first Major Tournament on the Legends Junior Tour schedule for the Girls Division. Players earned double points towards the LJT Player of the Year Standings, which determines the LJT Player of the Year along with the field for the George Hannon Junior Invitational, which is the next Major Tournament on the LJT schedule, and the teams for the Jackie Burke Cup.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes