Frizzell's 65 Vaults Him to Victory at Lanny Wadkins JC
PROSPER – Henry Frizzell of Frisco executed an almost flawless round Tuesday afternoon to win the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship. His bogey-free 7-under 65 propelled him up to the top of the leaderboard for his first Legends Junior Tour Victory.
In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Driftwood’s Grant Yerger came from behind to win after a final round 1-under 71. McKinney’s Amari Smith captured her first LJT victory in the Girls 12-18 Division after an even-par 72 Tuesday afternoon at Gentle Creek Country Club
Located in Prosper, a suburb of Dallas, Gentle Creek hosted the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship for the fifth straight year. The D.A. Weibring designed course meanders through the upscale residential neighborhoods. The course features intriguing elevation changes, picturesque water hazards and large, undulating greens that challenged all 120 players in this year’s field.
Standing on the first tee after his tee shot, Frizzell had his hands in the air, puzzled by what had just happened. He topped his first tee shot and was left with 270 yards in on the 407-yard par-4. He hit 3-wood and got up-and-down for par. That par save was a foreshadowing of what was to come.
He was able to get his round going after a birdie at the third hole. He closed his opening nine with three birdies in the last four holes to go out in 4-under 32. That stellar play continued and he birdied three in a row on the back nine, holes 13-15 and made 3 pars coming home. That 65 allowed him to shoot up the leaderboard eight spots after the first round to the top.
Frizzell won the Boys 15-18 division by two shots. His nearest competitor was Trophy Club’s David Harrison at 6-under 138 tournament total. Jase Summy, Thomas Bockholt III, and Alex Kopenhaver finished tied for third place, three shots back of Frizzell. In all, 14 players finished at even-par or better for the tournament.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Yerger played consistently all day, except for back-to-back bogeys on the sixth and seventh holes, his only two of the day. He followed those blemishes up with an immediate birdie on the eighth hole and had a bogey-free back nine including two other birdies. His 1-under 71 was just good enough for him to lift the trophy Tuesday.
Dallas’ Ben Delarosa finished in second place, just one shot back of Yerger. He shot a 1-over 73 in his final round. Frisco’s Will Livermore and first-round leader, Tanner Wardlaw, finished tied for third, five shots back of Yerger.
This was Amari Smith’s first Legends Junior Tour event, and she came away victorious at the Lanny Wadkins JC. She was in third place and trailed by two shots heading into Tuesday’s round, but a consistent even-par 72 got her to the top. Her clutch birdies on holes 15, 17, and 18 gave her a one-shot victory.
Frisco’s Gabbi Bentancourt, was one of the leaders after the first round, bogeyed her final hole and allowed Smith to jump ahead of her. Bentancourt finished solo second place at 2-over 146 for the tournament. Houston’s Zoe Slaughter finished in third place after a 1-under 71 Tuesday.
The Legends Junior Tour would like to thank Gentle Creek Country club, its members and staff for hosting the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship. The Legends Junior Tour summer schedule wraps up Monday and Tuesday, August 13-14 at UT Golf Club for the George Hannon Junior Invitational.
For final results, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes