Frizzell's 65 Vaults Him to Victory at Lanny Wadkins JC
PROSPER – Henry Frizzell of Frisco executed an almost flawless round Tuesday afternoon to win the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship. His bogey-free 7-under 65 propelled him up to the top of the leaderboard for his first Legends Junior Tour Victory.
In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Driftwood’s Grant Yerger came from behind to win after a final round 1-under 71. McKinney’s Amari Smith captured her first LJT victory in the Girls 12-18 Division after an even-par 72 Tuesday afternoon at Gentle Creek Country Club
Located in Prosper, a suburb of Dallas, Gentle Creek hosted the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship for the fifth straight year. The D.A. Weibring designed course meanders through the upscale residential neighborhoods. The course features intriguing elevation changes, picturesque water hazards and large, undulating greens that challenged all 120 players in this year’s field.
Standing on the first tee after his tee shot, Frizzell had his hands in the air, puzzled by what had just happened. He topped his first tee shot and was left with 270 yards in on the 407-yard par-4. He hit 3-wood and got up-and-down for par. That par save was a foreshadowing of what was to come.
He was able to get his round going after a birdie at the third hole. He closed his opening nine with three birdies in the last four holes to go out in 4-under 32. That stellar play continued and he birdied three in a row on the back nine, holes 13-15 and made 3 pars coming home. That 65 allowed him to shoot up the leaderboard eight spots after the first round to the top.
Frizzell won the Boys 15-18 division by two shots. His nearest competitor was Trophy Club’s David Harrison at 6-under 138 tournament total. Jase Summy, Thomas Bockholt III, and Alex Kopenhaver finished tied for third place, three shots back of Frizzell. In all, 14 players finished at even-par or better for the tournament.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Yerger played consistently all day, except for back-to-back bogeys on the sixth and seventh holes, his only two of the day. He followed those blemishes up with an immediate birdie on the eighth hole and had a bogey-free back nine including two other birdies. His 1-under 71 was just good enough for him to lift the trophy Tuesday.
Dallas’ Ben Delarosa finished in second place, just one shot back of Yerger. He shot a 1-over 73 in his final round. Frisco’s Will Livermore and first-round leader, Tanner Wardlaw, finished tied for third, five shots back of Yerger.
This was Amari Smith’s first Legends Junior Tour event, and she came away victorious at the Lanny Wadkins JC. She was in third place and trailed by two shots heading into Tuesday’s round, but a consistent even-par 72 got her to the top. Her clutch birdies on holes 15, 17, and 18 gave her a one-shot victory.
Frisco’s Gabbi Bentancourt, was one of the leaders after the first round, bogeyed her final hole and allowed Smith to jump ahead of her. Bentancourt finished solo second place at 2-over 146 for the tournament. Houston’s Zoe Slaughter finished in third place after a 1-under 71 Tuesday.
The Legends Junior Tour would like to thank Gentle Creek Country club, its members and staff for hosting the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship. The Legends Junior Tour summer schedule wraps up Monday and Tuesday, August 13-14 at UT Golf Club for the George Hannon Junior Invitational.
For final results, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes