McDonough, Jones, Pickrell Lead Fall Challenge
COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Spicewood’s Hunter McDonough carded a stellar round of 2-under-par 69 in tough playing conditions Saturday afternoon to lead after the first round of the Fall Challenge at The Golf Club at Texas A&M.
Dallas’ Hailey Jones leads the Girls 12-18 division after a 2-over-par 73. Cypress’ Tomek Pickrell leads the Boys 14 & Under division after a 2-under 69 as well. He takes a three-shot lead heading into Sunday’s final round.
Players fought 25-30 mph winds with gusts up to 35 mph Saturday afternoon at The Golf Club at Texas A&M. The Jeff Blume designed golf course sits on the north end of the Texas A&M campus on a relatively open piece of land, allowing winds to whip through the minimal trees on the course.
McDonough started on the 10th hole, a 550-yard, downwind, par-5. He had an opening par, but carded two birdies on his opening nine, the par-4, 15th hole and the difficult, par-4 18th hole. McDonough had another birdie on the par-4, fourth hole, before carding his first and only bogey on the day on the difficult 191-yard, par-3 fifth hole, which played directly into the wind.
McDonough has a small lead, just one shot, over Frisco’s Crosby Guercio and Lake Jackson’s Jacob Borow, who both carded 1-under 70’s in their opening rounds. Jack Lawlor, Matthew Comegys and Patrick Kahanek sit in a tie for fourth place, four shots back of McDonough.
In the Girls 12-18 division, Jones started out steady, carding eight pars and one birdie on her opening nine. She made the turn at 1-under and was even-par heading into the 18th hole. She made a double-bogey on the 360-yard, uphill, into-the-wind, par 4, but still leads the division.
Jones leads by one shot over Valerie Routzong, who carded a 3-over 74 Saturday afternoon. Tillie Claggett of The Woodlands and Zoe Slaughter of Houston sit in a tie for third place after 4-over 75s.
In the Boys 14 & Under division, Pickrell started out hot, making a birdie on the first hole, a split fairway, par-4. He had two more birdies on the front nine, against two bogeys to go out in 1-under-par. On the back nine, he carded two birdies on the par-5 10th and the par-3, 14th holes. After the second birdie, he had four straight pars coming home.
Pickrell leads by three shots heading into Sunday’s final round at The Golf Club at Texas A&M. Grant Yerger sits in second place after a 1-over 72. Houston’s Jack Gilbert is in third place, followed by Drew Wagner and Tyler Durden tied for fourth place.
The final round is scheduled to begin Sunday morning at 8:00 off the first and 10th tees. For more information on the Fall Challenge or Legends Junior Tour, visit www.TXGA.org.
For first round results, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes