North Leads 13-11 After Day 1 at Jackie Burke Cup
Galveston – The North Squad heads into Sunday’s Singles Matches with a 13-11 lead as it looks to even the all-time series versus the South at the 14th Jackie Burke Cup.
The Jackie Burke Cup matches feature 12 players from north Texas squaring off against 12 players from south Texas. Players compete in three rounds: Four-Ball matches, Foursome matches and Singles matches. Each match is worth two points and the team that earns the most points wins the cup.
The North Squad dominated the morning Four-Ball matches and earning a total of nine points to take a 9-3 lead. There were two duos that each earned four points on Saturday. Flower Mound’s Rohit Madireddi and Dallas’ Mateo Trevino won 3&2 in the morning and 2&1 in the afternoon, while Temple’s Dallas Hankamer and Plano’s Matthew Comegys won 1-up in the morning and 3&1 in the afternoon.
Dallas’ Andrew Petruzzelli and Ben Delarosa won their Four-Ball match 1-up over Keaton Vo and Grant Yerger, while Dallas’ Hailey Jones and Abilene’s Maddi Olson made five birdies in the last six holes to win their match for the North Squad.
For the South Squad, Austin’s Cole Sherwood and San Antonio’s Shoichiro Kato totaled four points on the day, winning both their Four-Ball and Foursome matches 2&1.
The South Squad fought back in the afternoon to win four matches and eight points. Players were put together and competed in foursome matches, alternating shots on each hole.
After halving their morning match, Austin’s Thomas Bockholt III, who won the Boys 15-18 Player of the Year Award on Friday, and Pearland’s Vishnu Sadagopan won their Foursome match 1-up over Connor Adams and Gaven Lane. Bockholt and Sadagopan teamed up to make four total birdies in the afternoon, including the 426-yard 16th.
Austin’s Vo and Driftwood’s Yerger won their afternoon match 5&3 after making birdie on the par-4 15th.
Houston’s Zoe Slaughter, who was named Girls 12-18 Player of the Year on Friday, and Kingwood’s Elise Parel won their afternoon match after Parel sank a 10-foot putt on the 18th green.
The players will compete in 12 Singles matches on Sunday at Moody Gardens Golf Course with a total of 24 possible points. The North Squad needs only 11 points tomorrow to retain the Jackie Burke Cup, while the South Squad will need to win 14 points to win for the first time since 2013.
Moody Gardens Golf Course is hosting the Jackie Burke Cup matches for the first time in the event’s 14-year history. Moody Gardens joins an elite list of previous host clubs which includes Brook Hollow Golf Club, Whispering Pines Golf Club, Spanish Oaks Golf Club and Championship Golf Club, which Jackie Burke Jr. founded.
Tee times will start at 8:00 am on Sunday and matches will have live scoring throughout the day. To see all the scores from Saturday, click here. For more information on the Jackie Burke Cup, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes