Jones Wins Texas Girls' Invitational
Pearland, Texas – Dallas’ Hailey Jones won the Texas Girls’ Invitational at Golfcrest Country Club Monday afternoon, finishing the tournament at 2-under-par overall.
The win marks Jones’ second victory in the Texas Girls’ Invitational and her first win on the Legends Junior Tour in 2019.
“It feels awesome to win this tournament for the second time,” said Jones, “I always wanted to win this event since I was younger and it feels special to win it for a second time.”
The three-time Girls Division Player of the Year shot 1-over-par 73 in the final round of the 10th Texas Girls’ Invitational and was the only contestant under par after 54 holes. After going bogey free on Sunday, she opened her third round with a birdie on No. 1 and five straight pars until a double-bogey on No. 7. She settled down with five more pars before a bogey on the tough 13th hole. She finished strong however with four pars and a birdie on No. 18, which is a 356-yard par 4 with a creek that crosses just in front of the green.
The win makes Jones the second player to win the Texas Girls’ Invitational multiple times, joining Makenzie Niblett, who won in 2017 and 2018. Jones finished runner-up in last year’s event at Sugar Creek Country Club, losing to Niblett in a playoff. In 2017, she finished tied for fifth at Crown Colony Country Club and in 2016 she won at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club.
The windy conditions on Monday, made things difficult for the field. Temperatures were in the 40s to start the day with a steady wind of 15-25 miles per hour throughout the day and gusts that reached upwards of 35 mph.
Katy’s Elina Sinz finished runner-up in the Texas Girls’ Invitational after posting rounds of 74-71-80 to get to 225 overall. Frisco’s Caroline Kent finished third at 227 overall, while Temple’s Julia Garcia and Austin’s Jensen Jalufka finished tied for fourth at 228 overall.
Zoe Slaughter of Houston finished sixth in the event, followed by Trophy Club’s MacKenzie Moore in seventh, Plano’s Olivia Mitchell in eighth, Houston’s Allyn Stephens in ninth and Houston’s Ashley Yen in 10th.
This was the first year that the Texas Girls’ Invitational was contested over 54 holes of stroke play competition. The Legends Junior Tour moved the event up in the year to accommodate the extra round of golf and add the World Amateur Golf Ranking to the tournament along with being ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard and Golfweek.
Golfcrest Country Club hosted the Texas Girls’ Invitational for the first time in the tournament’s 10-year history. The course stretched out to 6,061 yards for the tournament and the course proved to be a great test for some of the best players in the state.
Along with Jones and Niblett, other past champions of the Texas Girls’ Invitational include Maddie McCrary, Lakareber Abe, Vanessa Ha, Jaravee Boonchant and Anne Chen.
This was the first Major Event on the LJT schedule in 2019. The next one up for the Girls Division is the Texas Junior Amateur, which will be held at The Clubs at Kingwood on July 22-24. The event will feature 60 girls in the division.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes