Boles Holds One-Stroke Lead After Two Rounds at Texas Cup Invitational
McKinney, Texas – Brian Boles fought through an steady drizzle and an hour lightning delay on Tuesday to shoot 3-over 74 and keep his lead atop the Texas Cup Invitational leaderboard at Stonebridge Ranch Country Club’s Dye Course.
The Lubbock native has posted rounds of 69-74 to get to 143 overall and one stroke ahead of the field.
“I was hitting the ball well again today,” said Boles, “Just like yesterday, I was striking the ball and making putts.”
Play was suspended at 11:40 am during the second round due to lightning in the area. Boles’ group was on the par-3 12th hole when the suspension occurred, but the Texas Tech University commit stayed focused.
“I knew it was going to be wet and I would have to grind, but I was going to stick to my game plan after the delay,” said Boles.
Play resumed at 12:40 pm, exactly one hour after the horn was blown. Boles made his par putt on the 12th green, but dropped shots with bogey on the 13th, 15th and 17th. He made a birdie on the 415-yard 18th hole, but struggled with a bogey on No. 1 and a double-bogey on No. 2 after he sailed over the green on the 337-yard hole.
“I told my caddie, that I was going to get those back and that this wasn’t over,” said Boles on the No. 3 tee.
He bounced back with back-to-back birdies on No. 3 and No. 4 and made five straight pars coming home to shoot 3-over 74.
Trailing Boles for the second straight day is Heath’s Matthew Watkins, who tied the low round of the day with a 2-over 73. The 2019 LJT Winter Classic Boys 15-18 Division Champion made four birdies in his second round, including the par-3 17th, which got him to 2-over overall.
Fort Worth’s Brandon Massey, who won this event in 2017 at his home club of Ridglea Country Club, tied Watkins for the low round of the day by making 16 pars and two bogeys en route to his 73. Tied with Massey for third is Lubbock’s Logan Vargas and Temple’s Dallas Hankamer at 6-over 148 overall.
Vargas has played consistently over two days, posting consecutive 74s in the first two rounds. Hankamer posted rounds of 73-75 and is five strokes behind the leader.
Logan Hamak of Sartell, Minn. sits alone in sixth place heading into the final round, while League City’s Niko Nebout, Carrollton’s Greg Seo and Keller’s Jase Summy are tied for seventh at 8-over 150.
Granbury’s Ty Holbrook rounds out the top ten in the field at 9-over 151, while three are tied for 11th at 152 overall and three are tied for 14th at 153 overall.
Stonebridge Ranch Country Club is hosting the Texas Cup Invitational for the first time in the tournament’s 12-year history. The Dye Course was designed by Pete Dye and opened in 1988. The course is stretched out to 6,893 yards for the tournament.
The final round of the Texas Cup Invitational is set to start at 8:30 am on Wednesday off the No. 1 and 10 tees. Players were repaired according to scores from the first two rounds. To see all the pairings for the final round, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes