Grider Leads 110th Texas Amateur Championship by Two Shots
DALLAS – Ryan Grider from Lewisville is 18 holes away from capturing the biggest amateur title in his young career. The 20-year-old Baylor University junior on Saturday shot a 3-under-par 69 in blustery conditions during the third round of the 110th Texas Amateur. He extended his lead to two shots over the field on Dallas Athletic Club’s Jack Nicklaus-designed Blue Course.
Grider backed up the stellar 65 he recorded on Friday with another strong performance. Through 54 holes, the 2014 Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior champion sits at 11-under 205. Addison’s Chris Wheeler, however, is looming at 9-under 207.
If Grider is able to close it out on Sunday, he’d join the likes of Ben Crenshaw, Charles Coody, Mark Brooks, Scott Verplank and so many other Lone Star State legends as Texas Amateur champions. There’s still a lot of golf to be played, but the significance of a victory was not lost on the highly talented and soft-spoken Grider.
“It would be very special,” he said. “Just the names up on that trophy, it would be a dream come true to be up on there with some of the great golfers in Texas.”
Grider made five birdies in the third round. Perhaps more impressive, he only suffered two bogeys as the field played through high winds that reached 30 mph in the early afternoon. Over and again, Grider saved par with touch and creativity around the greens. On the long par-4 17th, for example, his second shot came to rest on a downhill lie just inside a greenside bunker. He had no stance inside the sand trap; he had to stand outside of it and squat low to address the ball.
Then he splashed it out to 5 feet and drained the putt.
“It was tough,” he said. “I had to rely on my short game all day. I didn’t hit it great off the tee; it was very sporadic. I tried to get up and down from everywhere.”
Wheeler, a 36-year-old mid-amateur, just shook his head. Then he complemented Grider on the par save. A 2005 Tulane graduate and reinstated amateur, Wheeler finished his third round at 2-under 70. He made five birdies and an eagle against three bogeys and a double-bogey.
“It was another grind,” he said. “It was really windy, and the rough was tougher today than earlier in the week. I’m pleased with 70 even though I gave back a few there in the last four holes.”
With rounds of 64-73-70, Wheeler is rightfully proud of his performance so far. He and Grider have a bit of a cushion over the rest of the field. The next closest challengers are Scott Abbott from Dallas and Arlington’s Paul Gonzalez; they’re both at 5-under 211 overall. Abbott, the 2015 Texas Mid-Amateur champion, recorded a 3-under 69 in the third round. Gonzalez, a junior at UT-Arlington, came in with 1-under 71.
Michael Cotton, who won the 106th Texas Amateur in 2015, holds fifth place at 4-under 212.
The Blue Course at DAC is where Nicklaus won the 1963 PGA Championship. He returned in 1986 to renovate the original Ralph Plummer design. The old school parkland course features tree-lined fairways, thoughtful doglegs and water hazards on 12 of the 18 holes. In addition to the challenges the course presents, the severe winds on Saturday tested all 62 players who survived Friday’s 36-hole cut.
It was already whipping at 15-18 mph when the first players teed off at 8 a.m. By the time the leaders teed off at 9:40 a.m., the winds were up in the 20 mph range with gusts of 25 mph. At 2 p.m., when Grider and Wheeler were battling down the stretch, the gusts reached 30 mph.
“It’s guesswork to try and get the right yardage,” Wheeler said of playing in this kind of wind. “Especially out of the rough, anytime you’re doing calculations on roughly 10 yards affected, 15 yards affected (by the wind), it’s just one of those things where you hope you’re right.”
The 110th Texas Amateur’s final round looks to be a two-man race between Grider and Wheeler. Nothing is certain in major championship golf, however, and one of the other skilled players could go low early and post a number that makes the leaders nervous. It all gets started Sunday at 8 a.m. For live scoring, videos and more information, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes