Ryan Grider Wins the 110th Texas Amateur
DALLAS – Ryan Grider won the 110th Texas Amateur late on Sunday after lightning and thunderstorms washed out the final round. The 20-year-old from Lewisville captures the victory with a 54-hole total of 11-under-par 205.
The final round at venerable Dallas Athletic Club began with a two-hour weather delay after overnight storms dumped an inch and a half of rain on the Blue Course. Showing the same determination and skill as he had in the first three rounds, Grider on Sunday had stretched his lead to four shots through 15 holes when lightning and thunderstorms forced another delay.
After more than two and a half hours of lightning strikes in the area, TGA tournament officials had no choice but to cancel the final round and revert to the 54 holes. For Grider, it’s a major championship victory, his first on the amateur level and exactly what he needed to get his summer off to the right start.
“I really wanted to finish all four rounds, but I’m glad I had a comfortable lead of four shots when it was called,” said Grider, a junior at Baylor University. “I didn’t want there to be any doubt. This is a great way to start the summer.”
By the end of it, no one doubted the fact that Grider was the best golfer in the field this week. He was the only player to shoot under par in each round. He finished with rounds of 71-65-69. He was 2-under through 15 holes when the tournament was called.
Addison’s Chris Wheeler took second place at 9-under 207. The 36-year-old mid-amateur said there were plenty of positives for him to take away from the week at DAC.
“I’m pleasantly surprised by the fact that I was able to compete with so many great players,” he said. “In the last couple days alone, I’ve met and played with college players who definitely have a future doing this for a living. To hang with them and be a part of the action was awesome. It makes me feel 20 years … well, maybe 10 years younger.”
Scott Abbott from Dallas and Arlington’s Paul Gonzalez shared third place at 5-under 211. Katy’s Michael Cotton, who won the 106th Texas Amateur in 2015, took fifth place at 4-under 212.
For the Griders, it was a total family celebration on Father’s Day. Ryan’s mom Denise was his caddie for the 110th Texas Amateur. She’s the Director of Junior Golf at the Golf Club at Castle Hills and has been a golf instructor for 15 years. Grider’s father Greg walked the margins of the fairways alongside his family all week. Once it was officially over, Greg was beaming with pride.
“It was an extra Father’s Day gift,” Greg Grider said. “For Ryan to come out and win the 110th Texas Amateur, I’ve known how hard he’s worked lately and over the past few years. I know how badly he wanted it. To be able to watch your kid reach their dreams is a dream of my own. It’s very special.”
Grider said he wanted to win this coveted championship for his family as much as for himself. His name now will be etched into the H.L. Edwards Memorial Trophy alongside the likes of Ben Crenshaw, Charles Coody, Mark Brooks, Scott Verplank and a host of other Texas golf legends.
That part of the victory is still sinking in for Grider. Minutes after the victory, he was more focused on his parents and appreciating all they’ve done for him.
“It’s so much more than golf in our family,” Grider said. “My dad is happy when I play well, but just being a good person and a good role model is what makes him the happiest. This week was just very special.”
The TGA extends its most sincere appreciation to Dallas Athletic Club, its attentive staff and engaged membership for all their help and support ahead of and during the 110th Texas Amateur. This week’s tournament was part of the club’s yearlong centennial celebration. The Blue Course has a proud history of hosting major championships. In 1963, a young Jack Nicklaus won his first PGA Championship here. The club hired the Golden Bear in the mid-1980s to renovate both the Blue and Gold Courses.
In May of this year, Nicklaus returned to tour the course with the membership. He spent an entire day at DAC, answering questions from his fans and regaling the membership with stories. In addition to the 1963 PGA Championship, DAC has now hosted seven TGA Major Championships, including the 2003 and 1992 Texas Amateurs.
Extra special thanks for a successful championship week are due to General Manager Brent Burkhart, Director of Golf Lance Patterson, Golf Course Superintendent Kevin Nettles and his amazing grounds crew, Head Golf Professional Larry Muskopf, Food and Beverage Director Phil Callahan, Executive Chef Mark Ellis, Communications Director Jacqueline Robinson, Club President Doug Day and Former TGA President and DAC Member Jim Brown.
For more information on the 110th Texas Amateur, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes