LJT Alumnus Cole Hammer is the New World No. 1 Amateur
DALLAS – Cole Hammer sits atop the World Amateur Golf Rankings as the new World No. 1. He takes over the top spot after a fourth-place finish at the Northeast Amateur Invitational.
The rising sophomore at the University of Texas just capped off his freshman season winning three individual tournaments, including the NCAA Austin Regional. The summer prior to arriving at the 40 acres, Hammer won the 2018 Western Amateur and was a semifinalist at the 2018 U.S. Amateur at Pebble Beach Golf Links.
But, his rise to the top of the WAGR began many years ago as a junior golfer in Texas.
Hammer was 13 years old when he won his first Legends Junior Tour event. The wide-eyed seventh grader with braces hoisted the trophy at the 2013 Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic, the 2013 Winter Classic, the 2013 Spring Preview and the 2013 Flodder Financial Shootout. The young golfer from Houston became a recognizable name across the state of Texas. He had won four out of five Legends Junior Tour starts, finishing no worse than solo fourth.
Later that summer, Hammer caught the eye of the University of Texas coaching staff. He was playing in the 2013 George Hannon Junior Invitational at the Longhorns’ home course, UT Golf Club. Hammer didn’t turn heads with simply winning the tournament, but more so in the fashion it was done.
He holed out for eagle from 159 yards on his final hole to shoot 7-under 64, seven shots clear of the field. It was his fifth Legends Junior Tour victory of the season, and he was the unquestionable 2013 LJT Boys 14 & Under Player of the Year.
“I remember at the George Hannon I was being watched by the Texas coaches and I was a little nervous,” Hammer said. “Now, every time I play 18 there (UT Golf Club) I think of holing out and one of my favorite memories of my career.”
Following a few visits back to UT Golf Club, Hammer committed to the University of Texas later that fall at the age of 13. He continued his success on the Legends Junior Tour the next two seasons.
In 2014 and 2015, Hammer added seven more top-10s to his resume with wins at the 2015 Jimmy Demaret Junior Classic and 2015 Bluebonnet Championship. With a total of seven Legends Junior Tour victories, Hammer is tied third all-time with PGA Tour winner and Major Champion Jordan Spieth.
“Legends Junior Tour events were the highlight of my junior career,” Hammer said. “I learned something about my game every time I played, and they were the kickstart to my career.”
Hammer has had plenty of success in USGA events as well. He qualified for the 2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay at the age of 15 and won the 2018 U.S. Four-Ball at Jupiter Hills with Garrett Barber.
The Legends Junior Tour alumnus is schedule to defend at the 2019 Western Amateur at Point O’Woods Golf & Country Club as well as compete in the 2019 U.S. Amateur at Pinehurst Resort & Country Club later this summer.
For more information on the Legends Junior Tour, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes