Delarosa, Givens Capture Boys and Girls 14 and Under Divisions at Texas Junior Amateur
KINGWOOD— Ben Delarosa of Dallas fired a 3-under par 69 in the final round to win the Boys 14 & Under Division. Austin’s Sydney Givens made six birdies in her final round to win the Girls 14 & Under Division by three strokes at 8-over for the tournament.
Frisco’s Henry Frizzell is leading the Boys Division at 6-under for the tournament. Nicole Vivier of Austin and Christine Wang of Houston are tied atop the leaderboard for the Girls Division at 4-over for the tournament.
Delarosa started the final round five strokes behind the leader, but closed the gap quickly. He was 3-under through 12 holes and despite making a bogey on his 13th hole, Delarosa was able to birdie the signature 18th hole to finish at 3-under for the day and 1-under for the tournament.
Aaron Pounds of The Woodlands finished three strokes back of Delarosa at 1-over par for the tournament. Pounds’ final round even-par 72 was steady and included two bogeys and two birdies. Daniel Zou of The Woodlands shot a final round 4-over 76 to finish in third place at 3-over for the tournament.
In the Girls 14 & Under Division Givens finished atop the leaderboard with a final round scorecard full of birdies. She was even through seven holes, but ran into trouble on holes 17 and 18 causing her to make the turn at 6-over par for the day. Givens never gave up and made four birdies on the front nine, her back nine, bringing her back to 2-over for the day and three strokes ahead of the field.
Katy’s Maye Huang shot a final round 5-over 77 to finish in second place. Avery Owen of Dallas and Rylie Cerny of Kingwood both finished tied for third with a tournament total of 17-over par.
The Texas Junior Amateur is a prestigious junior event with past champions in the Boys 14 & Under Division like 3-time major champion Jordan Spieth who won in 2007, Oklahoma State University stand-out Stratton Nolen who won in 2009, Oklahoma University Sooner Garrett Reband the 2013 champion, and University of Texas sophomore Parker Coody who won in 2014.
The Girls 14 & Under Division also has a list full of successful past champions, including the 2008 champion Grace Choi who went on to win the Women’s State Amateur in 2016, A&M University stand-out Courtney Dow who won in 2010, and the 2011 champion Kaitlyn Papp who was declared the 2018 Big 12 Freshman of the Year.
In the Boys Division Frizzell started the day two shots behind the leader, but soared up the leaderboard with a 3-under 69 in the second round. He had four birdies and a lone bogey, which put him at 6-under par for the tournament and one shot ahead of the field.
Richmond’s Stephen Campbell Jr. and Zach Heffernan of Fair Oaks Ranch are tied for second at 5-under, one shot behind the leader. Three players are tied for fourth at 3-under par.
In the Girls Division Vivier shot a 3-over 75 after starting out with a birdie on her third hole, bringing her to 4-over for the tournament. Wang is also at 4-over for the tournament after shooting a 2-over 74 with two birdies.
The Boys Division was cut to the low 45 players and ties, which was 49 total players. The Girls Division was cut to the low 27 players following the second round.
This is the first year Kingwood Country Club has hosted the Texas Junior Amateur. The Boys Division is playing the Forest Course, while the rest of the divisions are playing the Island Course.
The final round of the Texas Junior Amateur begins Wednesday at 7:30 a.m. For more information, click here.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes