Delarosa, Givens Capture Boys and Girls 14 and Under Divisions at Texas Junior Amateur
KINGWOOD— Ben Delarosa of Dallas fired a 3-under par 69 in the final round to win the Boys 14 & Under Division. Austin’s Sydney Givens made six birdies in her final round to win the Girls 14 & Under Division by three strokes at 8-over for the tournament.
Frisco’s Henry Frizzell is leading the Boys Division at 6-under for the tournament. Nicole Vivier of Austin and Christine Wang of Houston are tied atop the leaderboard for the Girls Division at 4-over for the tournament.
Delarosa started the final round five strokes behind the leader, but closed the gap quickly. He was 3-under through 12 holes and despite making a bogey on his 13th hole, Delarosa was able to birdie the signature 18th hole to finish at 3-under for the day and 1-under for the tournament.
Aaron Pounds of The Woodlands finished three strokes back of Delarosa at 1-over par for the tournament. Pounds’ final round even-par 72 was steady and included two bogeys and two birdies. Daniel Zou of The Woodlands shot a final round 4-over 76 to finish in third place at 3-over for the tournament.
In the Girls 14 & Under Division Givens finished atop the leaderboard with a final round scorecard full of birdies. She was even through seven holes, but ran into trouble on holes 17 and 18 causing her to make the turn at 6-over par for the day. Givens never gave up and made four birdies on the front nine, her back nine, bringing her back to 2-over for the day and three strokes ahead of the field.
Katy’s Maye Huang shot a final round 5-over 77 to finish in second place. Avery Owen of Dallas and Rylie Cerny of Kingwood both finished tied for third with a tournament total of 17-over par.
The Texas Junior Amateur is a prestigious junior event with past champions in the Boys 14 & Under Division like 3-time major champion Jordan Spieth who won in 2007, Oklahoma State University stand-out Stratton Nolen who won in 2009, Oklahoma University Sooner Garrett Reband the 2013 champion, and University of Texas sophomore Parker Coody who won in 2014.
The Girls 14 & Under Division also has a list full of successful past champions, including the 2008 champion Grace Choi who went on to win the Women’s State Amateur in 2016, A&M University stand-out Courtney Dow who won in 2010, and the 2011 champion Kaitlyn Papp who was declared the 2018 Big 12 Freshman of the Year.
In the Boys Division Frizzell started the day two shots behind the leader, but soared up the leaderboard with a 3-under 69 in the second round. He had four birdies and a lone bogey, which put him at 6-under par for the tournament and one shot ahead of the field.
Richmond’s Stephen Campbell Jr. and Zach Heffernan of Fair Oaks Ranch are tied for second at 5-under, one shot behind the leader. Three players are tied for fourth at 3-under par.
In the Girls Division Vivier shot a 3-over 75 after starting out with a birdie on her third hole, bringing her to 4-over for the tournament. Wang is also at 4-over for the tournament after shooting a 2-over 74 with two birdies.
The Boys Division was cut to the low 45 players and ties, which was 49 total players. The Girls Division was cut to the low 27 players following the second round.
This is the first year Kingwood Country Club has hosted the Texas Junior Amateur. The Boys Division is playing the Forest Course, while the rest of the divisions are playing the Island Course.
The final round of the Texas Junior Amateur begins Wednesday at 7:30 a.m. For more information, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!14 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes