Heffernan, Vivier Capture 93rd Texas Junior Amateur Titles
KINGWOOD— Zach Heffernan of Fair Oaks Ranch and Nicole Vivier of Austin were crowned state champions Wednesday afternoon after both players posted impressive final round scores of 3-under par 69 and 1-under par 71, respectively, at The Clubs of Kingwood.
Heffernan started the day one shot off the lead and found himself with an 8-foot birdie putt on the 18th hole to guarantee his victory. The 2021 graduate sank the putt, as he had many times today when faced with a crucial putt.
“I made a lot of clutch putts that I needed to make today,” said Heffernan.
Teeing it up this morning he said his mindset was to play match play against the players in his group and to win. This determined attitude led him to a one-stroke victory that left him in disbelief.
“I still can’t believe I won,” said Heffernan of his win over a highly competitive field.
Richmond’s Stephen Campbell Jr. finished two strokes behind Heffernan in second place. Campbell started off hot 5-under through ten holes but ran into some trouble with a few bogeys on the back nine, bringing him to a 1-under 71 in his final round.
Dallas’ Michael Heidelbaugh and Argyle’s Gaven Lane finished tied for third by both posting a final round score of 1-over 73 to finish with tournament totals of 2-under par. Evan Vo of Austin finished in fifth with a tournament total of 1-under par.
In the Boys Division the Top 5 players received Fully Exempt status for the AJGA, while the Top 10 received 12 stars, Top 15 received 8 stars, and Top 25 received 4 stars.
Heffernan’s name is now alongside 1967 and 1969 champion Ben Crenshaw, a two-time Masters champion, the 1980 champion Jeff Maggert, a 3-time PGA Tour champion, and 1981 champion Scott Verplank, a 5-time PGA Tour champion as a Texas Junior Amateur champion.
Vivier’s final round 1-under 71 was the lone under-par round in the Girls Division and led her to a 3-over tournament total. She accredited her wire-to-wire victory to a relaxed mindset that led to an enjoyable experience.
“I just tried to have fun today, stay in the present, not think about my score and just focused on hitting good shots,” said Vivier. “I had no expectations coming into this tournament, I wanted to play well but most importantly I wanted to have fun.”
The 2020 graduate played consistently with two birdies and only one bogey in her final round, resulting in a five-stroke victory.
Fort Worth’s Savannah Barber finished in second place at 8-over par for the tournament. Her final round 2-over 74 included five birdies.
University of Southern California commit, Christine Wang finished in third place at 9-over par for the tournament. Lauren Nguyen of Katy shot a final round 3-over 75 to finish in fourth. Plano’s Olivia Mitchell ended the tournament with a 12-over par total in fifth place.
In the Girls Division the Top 3 players were awarded Fully Exempt for the AJGA, the Top 5 received 12 stars, Top 10 received 8 stars, and the Top 15 received 4 stars.
Vivier joins a list of impressive champions including, Angela Stanford who has won 5 LPGA tournaments, Kelsey Vines who played professionally, A&M University stand-out Courtney Dow, and Annika Clark who won the Women’s Texas Amateur in 2015.
The Legends Junior Tour extends its sincere appreciation to The Clubs of Kingwood, the welcoming membership, and hard-working staff, as well as our volunteers, for all their dedication and efforts in making the 2019 Texas Junior Amateur a memorable event.
For more information on this year’s Texas Junior Amateur, including complete scoring click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 10 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...