Delarosa, Nguyen and Petruzzelli Lead Divisions at North Texas Classic
Boys 15-18 Division
1. Ben Delarosa 66
T2. Matthew Spaulding 67
T2. Shaheen Momin 67
T4. Shoichiro Kato 68
T4. Garrett Townsend 68
Girls 12-18 Division
1. Lauren Nguyen 72
2. Summer Lee 73
3. Tiffany Cao 75
T4. Jenna Madden 76
T4. Kaylee Vesely 76
Boys 14 & Under Division
1. Andrew Petruzzelli 69
T2. Daniel Macias 72
T2. Trenton Mierl 72
T2. Grant Yerger 72
T5. Jonathan Kim 73
Leaders: Delarosa made five birdies and an eagle in his opening round, which was the best score of the day on Saturday. He started with a bogey on the par-4 10th, his first hole, but then bounced back with a birdie on 12 and an eagle on the 501-yard 13th. He added four more birdies after that to lead by one stroke in the division. Nguyen started with a double-bogey on the first hole but made birdie on the par-4 second, the par-5 eighth and finished with a birdie on the 18th. Petruzzelli went out in 36 strokes with a birdie on Nos. 4 and 8 and a double-bogey on the tough seventh. He started his back nine with back-to-back birdies on 10 and 11 and added another on 13 and finished with a birdie on 18.
In Contention: Matthew Spaulding of Spring and Shaheen Momin of Sugar Land are tied for second in the Boys 15-18 Division at 5-under 67, while Shoichiro Kato of Austin and Garrett Townsend of Pottsboro are tied for fourth t 4-under. Four more players in the division are tied for sixth at 3-under and the division saw 14 players shoot under-par rounds on Saturday. Plano’s Summer Lee trails Nguyen in the Girls 12-18 Division by one stroke heading into Sunday. Tiffany Cao of Midlothian sits in third place, while McKinney’s Jenna Madden and Austin’s Kaylee Vesely, who is the defending champion, are tied for fourth at 4-over. Austin’s Trenton Mierl and Daniel Macias are tied with Driftwood’s Grant Yerger for second in the Boys 14 & Under Division. All three players shot even-par in the first round.
Tournament Format: The North Texas Classic is a 36-hole stroke play event for golfers ages 12-18 that have an active membership with the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. The event is split into three divisions: Boy 15-18, Girls 12-18 and Boys 14 & Under. Players earned their way into the field by playing in Alliance Partner Events and attaining status with the Legends Junior Tour.
Weather: It was another hot day in North Texas with temperatures starting in the 80s and then creeping up into the high 90s in the afternoon. The sun was shining all day on Tangle Ridge Golf Course and the winds were ranging between five to 10 miles per hour throughout the day.
Tournament History: This is the fifth year of the North Texas Classic and the fourth year that Tangle Ridge Golf Course has hosted the event. In 2015 the Legends Junior Tour added the event to the fall schedule to better accommodate the growing demand for more events for junior golfers. The event has seen signups grow each year and the North Texas Classic has quickly become one of the top-ranked Open Events on the LJT schedule.
Next Up: The final round of the North Texas Classic is scheduled for an 8:00 am start on Sunday with players going off the No. 1 and 10 tees throughout the morning. Once all the scores are in, awards will be handed out to the top five finishers in the Boys 15-18 Division and the top three finishers in the Girls 12-18 and Boys 14 & Under Divisions.
What’s at Stake: Along with an LJT victory, players are also jockeying for position to earn valuable Player of the Year points as well as exemptions into future LJT Invitational and Major events and AJGA PBE Stars. The Player of the Year Standings are used to determine player of the year along with entry into the Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational and set the teams for the Jackie Burke Cup matches later this year.
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes