Boyd Owens Fires 67 and Leads Fall Challenge
1. Boyd Owens -5 67
2. Mikey Bullock -4 68
3. Shaheen Momin -3 69
T4. Hunter McDonough -1 71
T4. Garrett Endicott -1 71
1. Caroline Kent +1 73
2. Emily Mu +2 74
T3. Ally Black +3 75
T3. Alexis Escobedo +3 75
T3. MacKenzie Moore +3 75
Boys 14 & Under
1. Andrew Petruzzelli -4 68
2. Kevin Mu +3 75
T3. Austin Hofferkamp +6 78
T3. Trenton Mierl +6 78
5. Grant Yerger +7 79
Leaders: In the Boys 15-18 Division, Owens went off in the last group off the No. 1 tee and finished with the lowest score of the day. He made four birdies and an eagle on the day with one lone bogey. The eagle came on the par-5 ninth, which was playing into the wind at 539 yards. In the Girls 12-18 Division Kent leads after making five birdies on the day, including a birdie on her final hole, the par-5 18th. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Petruzzelli shot 4-under 68 and leads by seven strokes. He made four birdies in the round, but the eagle on No. 11 was his shot of the day. He was 100-yards away and after hitting the green, backed his ball back into the hole for a two on the par-4. Petruzzelli is looking for his second-consecutive victory in the Boys 14 & Under Division after winning the North Texas Classic earlier this month.
In Contention: Harlingen’s Mikey Bullock trails Owens in the Boys 15-18 Division by one stroke after shooting 4-under 68 in the first round. Sugar Land’s Shaheen Momin sits in third place at 3-under 69, while Spicewood’s Hunter McDonough and San Antonio’s Garrett Endicott are tied for fourth at 1-under 71. Four more players are tied for sixth at even par and five strokes back of the leader. Emily Mu of Austin trails Kent in the Girls 12-18 Division after shooting 2-over 74 on Saturday. Ally Black, Alexis Escobedo, MacKenzie Moore, Maggie Ni and Estelle Seon are all tied for third in the division at 3-over 75. Austin’s Kevin Mu trails Petruzzelli in the Boys 14 & Under Division at 3-over 75. Austin Hofferkamp of the Woodlands and Trenton Mierl of Austin are tied for third in the division at 6-over 78, while Grant Yerger of Driftwood sits alone in fifth place heading into the final round at 7-over.
Golf Course: The Rawls Course at Texas Tech is hosting the Fall Challenge for the first time in the tournament’s history. The Rawls Course was designed by Tom Doak and opened in 2003. The course features wide fairways and stretches out to 7,000 yards in the Boys 15-18 Division, 6,500 yards in the Boys 14 & Under Division and 5,900 yards in the Girls 12-18 Division. The fairways are wide and surrounded by fescue grass along with bunkers all throughout the property. The course sits just north of the Texas Tech University campus and is home to the Men’s and Women’s Golf Teams.
Weather: Rain and lightning hit the Lubbock area around 2:30 am on Saturday and didn’t move on until around 8:00 am. The first round was delayed three hours as crews worked to clear the inch and a half of rain that fell overnight and into the morning. The sun came out around 10:00 am and so did the wind. The breeze was steady around 20 miles per hour throughout the day with gusts reaching up to 30 miles per hour.
Next Up: The final round of the Fall Challenge is scheduled to begin at 8:00 am on Sunday, September 29 at The Rawls Course. Players were repaired according to scores from the previous round and sent off the No. 1 and 10 tees. To see the pairings for the Final Round, click here.
For more information on the Fall Challenge, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes