Boyd Owens Fires 67 and Leads Fall Challenge
1. Boyd Owens -5 67
2. Mikey Bullock -4 68
3. Shaheen Momin -3 69
T4. Hunter McDonough -1 71
T4. Garrett Endicott -1 71
1. Caroline Kent +1 73
2. Emily Mu +2 74
T3. Ally Black +3 75
T3. Alexis Escobedo +3 75
T3. MacKenzie Moore +3 75
Boys 14 & Under
1. Andrew Petruzzelli -4 68
2. Kevin Mu +3 75
T3. Austin Hofferkamp +6 78
T3. Trenton Mierl +6 78
5. Grant Yerger +7 79
Leaders: In the Boys 15-18 Division, Owens went off in the last group off the No. 1 tee and finished with the lowest score of the day. He made four birdies and an eagle on the day with one lone bogey. The eagle came on the par-5 ninth, which was playing into the wind at 539 yards. In the Girls 12-18 Division Kent leads after making five birdies on the day, including a birdie on her final hole, the par-5 18th. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Petruzzelli shot 4-under 68 and leads by seven strokes. He made four birdies in the round, but the eagle on No. 11 was his shot of the day. He was 100-yards away and after hitting the green, backed his ball back into the hole for a two on the par-4. Petruzzelli is looking for his second-consecutive victory in the Boys 14 & Under Division after winning the North Texas Classic earlier this month.
In Contention: Harlingen’s Mikey Bullock trails Owens in the Boys 15-18 Division by one stroke after shooting 4-under 68 in the first round. Sugar Land’s Shaheen Momin sits in third place at 3-under 69, while Spicewood’s Hunter McDonough and San Antonio’s Garrett Endicott are tied for fourth at 1-under 71. Four more players are tied for sixth at even par and five strokes back of the leader. Emily Mu of Austin trails Kent in the Girls 12-18 Division after shooting 2-over 74 on Saturday. Ally Black, Alexis Escobedo, MacKenzie Moore, Maggie Ni and Estelle Seon are all tied for third in the division at 3-over 75. Austin’s Kevin Mu trails Petruzzelli in the Boys 14 & Under Division at 3-over 75. Austin Hofferkamp of the Woodlands and Trenton Mierl of Austin are tied for third in the division at 6-over 78, while Grant Yerger of Driftwood sits alone in fifth place heading into the final round at 7-over.
Golf Course: The Rawls Course at Texas Tech is hosting the Fall Challenge for the first time in the tournament’s history. The Rawls Course was designed by Tom Doak and opened in 2003. The course features wide fairways and stretches out to 7,000 yards in the Boys 15-18 Division, 6,500 yards in the Boys 14 & Under Division and 5,900 yards in the Girls 12-18 Division. The fairways are wide and surrounded by fescue grass along with bunkers all throughout the property. The course sits just north of the Texas Tech University campus and is home to the Men’s and Women’s Golf Teams.
Weather: Rain and lightning hit the Lubbock area around 2:30 am on Saturday and didn’t move on until around 8:00 am. The first round was delayed three hours as crews worked to clear the inch and a half of rain that fell overnight and into the morning. The sun came out around 10:00 am and so did the wind. The breeze was steady around 20 miles per hour throughout the day with gusts reaching up to 30 miles per hour.
Next Up: The final round of the Fall Challenge is scheduled to begin at 8:00 am on Sunday, September 29 at The Rawls Course. Players were repaired according to scores from the previous round and sent off the No. 1 and 10 tees. To see the pairings for the Final Round, click here.
For more information on the Fall Challenge, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!14 Likes