John Dowdall Leads Texas Senior Amateur
KINGWOOD – John Dowdall holds onto his lead at Texas Senior Amateur following a 1-under-par 71 Saturday at Deerwood Club. Fulshear’s Dowdall holds a two-shot lead over Craig Hulbert from Magnolia headed into Sunday.
The second round was suspended due to darkness at 7:12 p.m. with 18 groups left to complete their round. Play will resume Sunday morning, with the Final Round scheduled to begin at 11:00 a.m.
Due to inclement weather suspensions in Friday’s first round, play was suspended late that evening due to darkness. Play resumed at 8:00 a.m. Saturday morning. Kip Estep of Rockwall posted the lowest score of the wave with a round of 1-over 73.
Round 2 promptly began at 10 a.m. with tee times off No. 1 and No. 10 tees. Dowdall, the overnight clubhouse leader, was in the second group off to start Round 2. The former PGA Tour professional bogeyed the par-4 11th, his second hole of the day, but found his rhythm from Day 1 with birdies of the par-3 12th and par-4 14th.
“I birdied the very next hole after bogeying my second hole, so I had a good bounce-back,” Dowdall said. “Every time I made bogey I made a bounce-back birdie so that kept the round going pretty good.”
The 2007 South Texas Mid-Amateur Champion turned in 1-under 35, but bogeyed the par-4 second hole. But as he has shown throughout his first two rounds, he never wavered. Dowdall birdied the par-3 fourth. He displayed poise down the stretch as well. The former Northeast Louisiana University standout followed a bogey on the par-5 seventh with a beautiful tee shot from 159 yards on the par-3 eighth to birdie his third par-3 of the day.
“Wind kicked up a little bit and it played pretty tough,” Dowdall said. “But I’m very happy with how I hit the ball and I’m playing pretty solid right now.”
Dowdall’s ball-striking has been the key to his success. After 36-holes, he has only missed a handful of greens in regulation and has made five of his 10 birdies on par-3’s.
Hurlbert, with five holes left in Round 2, sits in solo-second. The 2010 Montana Mid-Amateur Champion quickly got his second round into red figures after a birdie on his third hole of the day, the par-3 12th. He followed with consecutive bogeys, but birdied the par-5 16th.
On the par-3 17th, Hurlbert showed his only signs of distraction with two short missed putts and made double-bogey. But that’s when he caught fire. Hurlbert birdied three of his next five holes to get to 1-under on his round and two shots off the lead at 4-under overall. Hurlbert will resume play Sunday morning on the par-5 fifth.
Gary Durbin of Houston is in solo third and six shots behind Dowdall at even par. The 2012 Greater Houston Men’s Senior Amateur Champion is through 12 holes in Round 2 and will resume play on the par-3 fourth.
Following completion of Round 2, the field will be cut to low-54 and ties for Sunday’s Final Round. The Final Round will be a shotgun start at 11:00 a.m.
Deerwood Club is playing host to its fifth TGA Major Championship. This year, the club joined an exclusive list of clubs in Texas to have hosted all four TGA Men’s Major Championships. Deerwood played host to the 1986 and 1999 Texas Amateurs, 1989 Texas Mid-Amateur, 2014 Texas Four-Ball and rounds out the distinction with the 2019 Texas Senior Amateur.
For more information on the Texas Senior Amateur, click here. For Full Leaderboard, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes