John Dowdall Leads Texas Senior Amateur
KINGWOOD – John Dowdall holds onto his lead at Texas Senior Amateur following a 1-under-par 71 Saturday at Deerwood Club. Fulshear’s Dowdall holds a two-shot lead over Craig Hulbert from Magnolia headed into Sunday.
The second round was suspended due to darkness at 7:12 p.m. with 18 groups left to complete their round. Play will resume Sunday morning, with the Final Round scheduled to begin at 11:00 a.m.
Due to inclement weather suspensions in Friday’s first round, play was suspended late that evening due to darkness. Play resumed at 8:00 a.m. Saturday morning. Kip Estep of Rockwall posted the lowest score of the wave with a round of 1-over 73.
Round 2 promptly began at 10 a.m. with tee times off No. 1 and No. 10 tees. Dowdall, the overnight clubhouse leader, was in the second group off to start Round 2. The former PGA Tour professional bogeyed the par-4 11th, his second hole of the day, but found his rhythm from Day 1 with birdies of the par-3 12th and par-4 14th.
“I birdied the very next hole after bogeying my second hole, so I had a good bounce-back,” Dowdall said. “Every time I made bogey I made a bounce-back birdie so that kept the round going pretty good.”
The 2007 South Texas Mid-Amateur Champion turned in 1-under 35, but bogeyed the par-4 second hole. But as he has shown throughout his first two rounds, he never wavered. Dowdall birdied the par-3 fourth. He displayed poise down the stretch as well. The former Northeast Louisiana University standout followed a bogey on the par-5 seventh with a beautiful tee shot from 159 yards on the par-3 eighth to birdie his third par-3 of the day.
“Wind kicked up a little bit and it played pretty tough,” Dowdall said. “But I’m very happy with how I hit the ball and I’m playing pretty solid right now.”
Dowdall’s ball-striking has been the key to his success. After 36-holes, he has only missed a handful of greens in regulation and has made five of his 10 birdies on par-3’s.
Hurlbert, with five holes left in Round 2, sits in solo-second. The 2010 Montana Mid-Amateur Champion quickly got his second round into red figures after a birdie on his third hole of the day, the par-3 12th. He followed with consecutive bogeys, but birdied the par-5 16th.
On the par-3 17th, Hurlbert showed his only signs of distraction with two short missed putts and made double-bogey. But that’s when he caught fire. Hurlbert birdied three of his next five holes to get to 1-under on his round and two shots off the lead at 4-under overall. Hurlbert will resume play Sunday morning on the par-5 fifth.
Gary Durbin of Houston is in solo third and six shots behind Dowdall at even par. The 2012 Greater Houston Men’s Senior Amateur Champion is through 12 holes in Round 2 and will resume play on the par-3 fourth.
Following completion of Round 2, the field will be cut to low-54 and ties for Sunday’s Final Round. The Final Round will be a shotgun start at 11:00 a.m.
Deerwood Club is playing host to its fifth TGA Major Championship. This year, the club joined an exclusive list of clubs in Texas to have hosted all four TGA Men’s Major Championships. Deerwood played host to the 1986 and 1999 Texas Amateurs, 1989 Texas Mid-Amateur, 2014 Texas Four-Ball and rounds out the distinction with the 2019 Texas Senior Amateur.
For more information on the Texas Senior Amateur, click here. For Full Leaderboard, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes