Texas Junior Golf Alliance Partners with LPGA Tour Event
The Texas Junior Golf Alliance and Volunteers of America Classic recently partnered to give junior female golfers in the state of Texas an opportunity to earn an exemption into an LPGA Tour event.
The Volunteers of America Classic Match Play Championship will present an opportunity for 16 players to work their way through a bracket and earn a spot in the 2020 Volunteers of America Classic, one of the most established events on the LPGA Tour.
Texas Golf Association Executive Director Stacy Dennis and Northern Texas PGA Executive Director Mark Harrison announced the partnership in early October at the seventh staging of the Volunteers of America Classic at Old American Golf Club in The Colony.
“This means that Texas female amateur golfers will have the chance to play in the LPGA event next year and gain experience which will be beneficial for their career,” Dennis said. “It will be very exciting, very dramatic and very good for Texas amateur golf.”
The Volunteers of America Match Play Championship will be conducted at Old American Golf Club in late summer of 2020. The tournament will feature 16 female junior golfers: seven from the Legends Junior Tour, four from the NTPGA’s All American Tour, four from the STPGA Prestige Tour and one from the Houston Golf Association’s Performance Series. Final details about the guidelines and qualifying events will be announced in February.
“Most of these participants will have an opportunity to play collegiate golf and play amateur golf at an elite level,” Dennis said. “Most of them have aspirations of playing professionally. To get a firsthand shoulder-to-shoulder look at that and to be able to do it through their local tours, they have the opportunity right in their own backyard to earn this chance.”
Harrison pointed to the national success enjoyed by a group of Texas juniors now on the PGA Tour. He highlighted Jordan Spieth, and said next year’s event could help produce a similar run of triumphs by young women from the Lone Star State.
“There is no doubt about the dominance on the boys’ side, but now with the ladies and the match-play right before the LPGA tournament it will help encourage them as well,” Harrison said. “There is no doubt we have some world-beaters coming up through the ranks and this will
only help encourage their development.”
Cheyenne Knight, a native Texan and Legends Junior Tour alumnus, won the 2019 Volunteers of America Classic. It was the 22-year-old rookie’s first LPGA Tour title and secured her tour card for the 2020-2021 season. She is one of many LPGA Tour stars who played their junior golf in Texas. This partnership is another step to promote the success of future female golfers in Texas as they aspire to play professionally.
“I can’t imagine a young girl with aspirations to play professional golf not wanting to sign up for everything they can and do whatever they can do to make it into the field for the Volunteers of America Classic Match Play Championship,” Dennis said.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes