South Team Leads 21-15 Texas Shootout After Day 1
BRIEFLY: The 2019 Texas Shootout is being hosted at Willow Brook Country Club in Tyler for the first time in the event’s history. The Shootout is a Ryder-Cup style event that features 12 of the best amateurs in north Texas squaring off against 12 of the best amateurs in south Texas in Foursome, Four-Ball and Singles matches. Points are awarded in a Nassau format, with 1 point for each the front nine and back nine and 1 point for the overall match.
Saturday’s action saw a tale of two rounds, with the North team leading 10-8 after the morning Foursome matches, but the South dominated the Four-Ball matches 13-5 to take an overall 21-15 lead heading into Sunday.
North Team 10 5 15
South Team 8 13 21
GOLF COURSE: Willow Brook Country Club opened in 1922 with a nine-hole course and 112 charter members. In the late 1950’s, Ralph Plummer was hired to design and build a full 18-hole course for the growing membership. It was recently renovated in 2018 when Tripp Davis and Associates oversaw a comprehensive renovation that has fortified the course’s strategic playing characteristics and revitalized its natural beauty.
WEATHER: The high was 58 with winds out of the northwest at 12-15 mph.
FOURSOME MATCHES: In the first match of the day, north teammates Chris Wheeler and Scott Abbott captured 2.5 of the three possible points. Seniors Mike Lohner and Kip Estep of the north won all three points to help propel the North team in front. South Texas teammates Scott Loving and Bryan Mitchell secured all three points in the last match of the morning to crawl back and only trail 10-8 heading into afternoon Four-Ball matches.
FOUR-BALL MATCHES: The South team came out hot in the afternoon Four-Ball matches. The first two matches each had 2.5 points to the South team and only 0.5 points for the North. Seniors Gary Durbin and John Pierce swept their Four-Ball match, winning all three points. Scott Loving and Devin Young also swept their match. Loving captured all six points available in his two matches Saturday. In the last match of the day, Brandon Immel and Marcus Jones kept the score respectable for the North team, winning 2.5 out of the possible three points.
WHAT’S NEXT: Sunday’s Singles matches will begin at 8:00 and the South team will need to reach 36 ½ points to win the title, while the north will need a total of 36 points to retain the title.
MORE INFO: The Texas Shootout was started in 2003 and quickly became a favorite on the TGA schedule. For more information, please visit www.TXGA.org.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes