Watkins, O’Keefe and Miller Win at Lanny Wadkins Junior Champsionship
Briefly: Matthew Watkins of Heath wins the Boys 15-18 Division at 6-under 138 overall. Farah O’Keefe of Austin wins the Girls 12-18 Division by one shot, while Nathan Miller of Dallas wins the Boys 14 & Under Division.
Boys 15-18 Division
- Matthew Watkins, Heath 138
2. Seth Bearden, Crowell 140
3. Matthew Comegys, Plano 141
T4. Daniel Moon, Temple 143
T4. Davis Ovard, Frisco 143
- Farah O’Keefe, Austin 150
2. Alise Knudson, Dallas 151
T3. Delaney Martin, Boerne 152
T3. Halle Whitney, Magnolia 152
5. Allyn Stephens, Houston 153
Boys 14 & Under
- Nathan Miller, Dallas 141
2. Finn Burkholder, The Woodlands 147
3. Rhett O’Rear, Plano 151
4. Brooks Harper, Dallas 153
5. Elijah Estonilo, Allen 154
Winners: Matthew Watkins recorded rounds of 70-68 to win the Boys 15-18 Division by two shots. Watkins recorded 10 birdies over two days and played the front nine at 6-under par for the event. Farah O’Keefe birdied 18 on the final day to win by one in the Girls 12-18 Division. With her win, O’Keefe earns and exemptions in the Volunteers of America Classis Girl’s Match Play Championship on September 4-6 at Old American Golf Club. Nathan Miller posted rounds of 70-71 to earn his first LJT victory in the Boys 14 & Under Division. He tallied nine birdies over the two days to secure a six-shot victory.
In Contention: Crowell’s Seth Bearden finished in solo second at 4-under 140, thanks to a final round score of 3-under 69, which included three birdies and an eagle. Plano’s Matthew Comegys used two eagles in is final six holes to finish the tournament in solo third at 3-under 141. Playing up in the Boys 15-18 Division, Frisco’s Davis Ovard tied for fourth with Temple’s Daniel Moon at 1-under 143. Alise Knudson of Dallas finished runner up in the Girls 12-18 Division at 7-over 151. Delaney Martin of Boerne and Magnolia’s Halle Whitney finished tied for third at 8-over 152. Rounding out the top five is Houston’s Allyn Stephens at 9-over 153. The Woodlands’ Finn Burkholder used a final round 69 to finish second in the Boys 14 & Under Division at 3-over 147. Rhett O’Rear of Plano finishes in third at 7-over 151. Brooks Harper of Dallas and Allen’s Elijah Estonilo rounded out the top five at 9-over 153 and 10-over 154 respectively.
Golf Course: Brookhaven Country Club features three unique courses that were designed by Byron Nelson and Press Maxwell in 1958. The Masters Course is hosting the Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship for the second straight year and stretches out to 6,900 yards in the Boys 15-18 Division, 6,500 yards in the Boys 14 & Under Division and 6,000 yards in the Girls 12-18 Division.
Weather: After a cool and cloudy morning, temperatures crept up above 94 degrees with blue skies and mild winds.
Tournament Format: The Lanny Wadkins Junior Championship is a 36-hole stroke-play event for players ages 12-19 that have an active membership with the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. The event is divided into three divisions: Boys 15-18, Boys 14 & Under and Girls 12-18.
Tournament Exemptions: All players that finish in the top half of each division will earn points towards the LJT Player of the Year Standings. The event is ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard and Golfweek.
Next Up: The Legends Junior Tour heads to Hurricane Creek Country Club for the Collegiate Preview on July 6-7. Qualifying for the Texas Junior Amateur Boys Division is currently underway throughout the state.
- Round 1 of the #SuperSenior at Ridglea Country Club (North Course) is underway!
For pairings and tee times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-super-senior-amateur-pairings/ 6 Likes
- Wilshire & Dees win the 2021 #WomensPartnership! 🏆🏆
Thank you to all of the competitors that came out to Riverhill Country Club!
🔗Learn More: https://www.txga.org/2021/04/13/wilshire-and-dees-win-the-womens-partnership/
🔢Final Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/tga-2021-womens-partnership-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/ 2 Likes
- Timeline Photos What an amazing week at the #Masters2021 for Will Zalatoris, 2nd place in his first-ever start at Augusta National! Will won the 105th Texas Amateur in 2014 & has often said it was his first major amateur victory. Congrats, Will! ... 57 Likes
- Augusta Jam & Mayors Masters Experience | April 7 - 10, 2021 We are excited to be a part of Augusta Jam & The Mayor’s Masters Experience presented by Toyota USA hosted in the Play Golf Designs Inc. Virtual Clubhouse.
🔊 COMPLIMENTARY REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN! Join us this week to celebrate ... 1 CommentsMayor's Masters Experience Thank you! ✨ #MME20212 Likes
- Auto Shot Tracking with Apple Watch As an official partner of Golfshot GPS, we're excited to announce their newest feature, Auto Shot Tracking for Apple Watch. This feature auto-detects your swing and tracks your shots right from your Apple Watch.
Follow the link to see how ...
- Eight Drive, Chip & Putt Champions Crowned at Augusta Four boys and four girls ages 7-15 were crowned champions on Sunday at the 2021 Drive, Chip & Putt National Finals at Augusta National Golf Club. 6 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for this incredible #TexasTuesdayDeal - brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X Short Par 4. Get your #GolfBuddy w/ voice today and save $90! Want more deals? Sign up for the #TGAPlayersBox today and save ... 3 Likes
- Local links: Maulana Dotch becomes first Black woman PGA member to serve as GM of... Congrats to one of our state's best golf pros! Well deserved & good luck, Maulana!
Follow the link to read about Maulana Dotch's incredible journey on becoming the first Black woman PGA member to serve as GM of golf facility. 8 Likes
- Practice round is underway at Moody Garends Golf Course for the 2021 #WomensEclectic. The Texas Golf Association is looking forward to hosting a safe and competitive championship. Good luck to all competitors this week!
🔗Learn More: ￼ https://www.txga.org/tga-womens-eclectic-texas-golf-association/ 2 Likes