Dossey, Gonzalez, and Barrientos Win Divisions at Weather Shortened Collegiate Preview
Briefly: For the first time in Legends Junior Tour history, Austin’s Sam Dossey and Queretaro’s Alejandro Gonzalez both claim the title of co-champions in the Boys Division after posting rounds of 4-under 68. Melena Barrientos of Plano wins the Girls Division by five shots, after a round of 4-under 68.
- Sam Dossey, Austin 68
1. Alejandro Gonzalez, Queretaro 68
3. Sam Bumgardner, Fort Worth 69
T4. Wil Griffin, Hot Springs 70
T4. Cody Winkler, McKinney 70
T4. Nicholas Hance, Irving 70
- Melena Barrientos, Plano 68
2.Gabrielle Roth, Austin 73
3. Annika Saidleman, Austin 74
T4. Sydney Williams, Frisco 75
T4. Sophie Biediger, Dallas 75
T4. Alise Knudson, Dallas 75
Winners: Both Sam Dossey and Alejandro Gonzalez earn their first Legends Junior Tour victory at Hurricane Creek Country Club. Dossey recorded six birdies on his round, including three of the four par fives. Gonzalez birdied his final hole of the round to finish tied with Dossey atop the leaderboard. In the Girls Division, Plano’s Melena Barrientos cruised to a five-shot victory after posting a 4-under 68. Barrientos made five birdies on the day, also claiming her first Legends Junior Tour victory.
In Contention: Fort Worth’s Sam Bumgardner finished solo third at 3-under 69. Bumgardner birdied three of his last four holes to climb up the leaderboard. Cody Winkler of McKinney, Nicholas Hance of Irving, and Hot Springs’s Wil Griffin all finished tied for fourth at 2-under 70. Griffin finished strong and birdied his final two holes to finish in the top five. Winkler carded a bogey-free round, while Hance made five birdies and an eagle on his round. Austin’s Gabrielle Roth posted a round of 1-over 73 to finish in solo second. Annika Saidleman of Austin finishes in third after recording a round of 2-over 74. Sophie Biediger of Frisco, and Dallas’s Sydney Williams and Alise Knudson all finished tied for fourth at 3-over 75.
Golf Course: Hurricane Creek Country Club was designed by Leon Howard in 1968 and features bent grass greens with tree-lined fairways of 419 Bermuda grass. While the basic layout of the course has remained intact, significant improvements have been made over the past decade that make Hurricane Creek as striking to the eye as it is challenging to your golf game.
Weather: The second round was cancelled, and the first round was resumed Tuesday morning, as lightning delays forced play to be suspended on Monday evening. Tuesday featured a cool and cloudy morning that opened up to a sunny afternoon with temperatures that climbed into the high 80’s.
Tournament Format: The Collegiate Preview is a 54-hole stroke-play event for players ages 14-19 that have an active membership with the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. The event is divided into two divisions: Boys and Girls.
Tournament Exemptions: All players that finish in the top half of each division will earn points towards the LJT Player of the Year Standings. The event is ranked by Junior Golf Scoreboard, Golfweek, and WAGR.
Next Up: The Legends Junior Tour travels to Horseshoe Bay Resort for the 94th Texas Junior Amateur on July 27-29. Qualifying for the Texas Junior Amateur Boys Division throughout the state wraps up next week.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes