Crown Colony Country Club to Host Women’s Stroke Play Championship
LUFKIN – The Women’s Stroke Play Championship will be played at Crown Colony Country Club from July 30 – Aug. 1. Consistently ranked among the top golf courses in the state, the Robert von Hagge and Bruce Devlin design will be the stage for some of the top female amateur golfers in Texas.
“The TGA is very excited to return to Crown Colony Country Club for another Major Championship,” TGA Director of Women’s Operations Amy Worthington said. “Since the event was started, the field has continued to get stronger and stronger and showcase some of the most talented players in the state.”
The Women’s Stroke Play Championship was created in 2015 to give female amateur golfers another elite and competitive championship in Texas. Over the past five years, it has become one of the strongest fields on the TGA Women’s calendar.
This year, two recent high school graduates are among the top players in the field. Austin’s Nicole Vivier and Houston’s Zoe Slaughter finished their junior golf careers ranked inside the top-20 in Texas. Vivier, who will play for Southern Methodist University this fall, won the 93rd Texas Junior Amateur last summer at The Clubs of Kingwood’s Island Course. Slaughter, a two-time LJT winner, will play for the University of Houston. Both players will look to add one more title to their name before starting their collegiate golf careers.
Also in this year’s field is Oklahoma State University sophomore Hailey Jones of Dallas. Jones, a three-time LJT Player of the Year, completed her freshman campaign at OSU with a 74.1 scoring average and two top-10 finishes. Despite her first collegiate season being shortened due to Covid-19, Jones enters the Women’s Stroke Play Championship following a trip to the semifinals at the 99th Women’s Texas Amateur at the University of Texas Golf Club earlier this month.
Vivier, Slaughter and Jones are just a few of the talented female amateur golfers competing for this year’s championship. The TGA looks forward to crowning another worthy champion at Crown Colony Country Club.
“We look forward to a competitive week for the entire field,” Worthington said. “Crown Colony is a demanding golf course and will test every facet of a player’s game.”
Nestled in the tall pines of East Texas, Crown Colony Country Club originally opened for play in 1979. The beautiful and challenging layout located in Lufkin has been rated by Golfweek as one of the top destination golf courses in Texas. The 18-hole championship golf course has played host to eight TGA Major Championships (the 1982 and 1988 Texas Amateur, 1989 and 2007 Women’s Texas Amateur, 1994 Texas Mid-Amateur, 1983 Texas Senior Amateur and the 2012 and 2017 Texas Four-Ball). Now, it adds the Women’s Stroke Play Championship to its decorated history.
“It’s a great honor for us,” Crown Colony Country Club Head Golf Professional Ben Burns said. “I know there are a lot of highly ranked golfers in this event. We’re extremely excited to show off the course as well as welcome them to Lufkin.”
Annika Clark won last year’s Women’s Stroke Play Championship at Briggs Ranch Golf Club. The 94th Women’s Texas Amateur champion carded rounds of 70-66-71 to post 9-under for the tournament and claim her second TGA Major Championship. Clark, who now plays professionally, held off the 2017 Women’s Stroke Play champion Hanna Alberto by three strokes. It was Clark’s final amateur tournament and capped off a very successful collegiate golf career.
Other past champions include Hanna Alberto, Hailee Cooper, Kaitlyn Papp, Megan Thothong and Macy Holiday.
The TGA staff continues to monitor the health and safety guidelines from government officials in regards to the Covid-19 pandemic. Following its current health guidelines, the TGA has successfully managed four competitive TGA championships as well as five Legends Junior Tour tournaments since June. The TGA is committed to another safe and successful week at Crown Colony Country Club.
For more information on the Women’s Stroke Play Championship, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes