Caleb Hicks Leads 111th Texas Amateur by Two Shots
FREDERICKSBURG – Caleb Hicks from Arlington is 18 holes away from capturing the biggest amateur title in his young career. The 20-year-old UT Arlington junior battled difficult conditions on Saturday and carded and even-par 71 in the third round of the 111th Texas Amateur. Hicks leads by two shots headed into Sunday’s final round at Boot Ranch Golf Club.
Moving day at this year’s Texas Amateur was defined by swirling winds, firm and fast greens and a player’s ability to manage their fatigue. The Hal Sutton-designed championship golf course stretches across rugged Texas Hill Country landscape highlighted by dramatic elevation changes. Including Wednesday’s practice round, Hicks, as well as the 56 other players who made the 36-hole cut, walked their fourth round of golf this week. The 54-hole leader said Round 3 was about staying patient.
“It was a tough one today,” Hicks said. “Greens were getting crispy and firm and hard and fast. You had to golf your ball to shoot a low number today.”
Hicks carded three birdies and three bogeys to remain at 5-under overall. He was the only player in the final two groups to post a round at even par or better. After taking a break from golf during the quarantine, Hicks has approached this week with a relaxed attitude. He’ll begin the final round with a two-shot lead in the state’s oldest and most prestigious amateur championship.
“I’m just going to go hang out with the guys and try not to think about it,” Hicks said. “I’ll show up to my tee time and hit that tee ball.”
Trey Bosco of Austin made the biggest move on Saturday. The 2020 Baylor University commit began the day T17 and eight shots off the lead. He carded birdies on the par-3 second, par-5 third and par-4 ninth en route to a 3-under 32 on his opening nine. He closed with a birdie on the par-4 18th to card a 4-under 67, the second lowest round of the day. Bosco will join Hicks and Andres Acevedo in Sunday’s final group.
Acevedo, who is playing in his first Texas Amateur, played alongside Mark Reppe of Dallas and the 36-hole leader Chris Wheeler of Addison. Throughout their third round, all three players struggled. The wind steadily picked up throughout the afternoon making Boot Ranch more and more difficult. Acevedo finished 3-over par on his round and is tied second.
“I wasn’t putting it as solid and ball striking was a little off,” Acevedo said. “I held it together for most of it.”
Acevedo’s 74 was the low-round in his group. Reppe carded a 4-over 75, while Wheeler signed for a 6-over 77. Despite giving back a few strokes, Acevedo says he was pleased overall with his fight.
“I was pretty happy with the way I grinded,” Acevedo said. “I haven’t been in contention in a while so it’s nice. I just got to prepare for conditions just like this. All I can do is focus on my mental game and see where that takes me.”
Five players share fifth place at 2-under 211. They include 2020 University of Texas commit Scott Roden, 2020 University of Oklahoma commit Stephen Campbell Jr., 2022 University of Texas commit Jacob Sosa, University of Houston sophomore Austyn Reily and Baylor University senior Mark Reppe. They begin Sunday’s final round three shots behind Hicks.
The 111th Texas Amateur’s final round looks to be a battle. Fourteen players are within five shots of the lead. Nothing is certain in major championship golf; however, the final round of this year’s Texas Amateur is set up for a dramatic finish. It all gets started Sunday at 8:00 a.m. For live scoring, videos and more information, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 22 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes