Stout, Honea and Mierl Lead Divisions at North Texas Classic
GRAND PRAIRIE –
Boys 15-18 Division
- Preston Stout 65
2. Matthew Comegys 66
3. Ben Gregg 68
Girls 12-18 Division
- Ryann Honea 67
2. MacKenzie Moore 71
3. Jenna Madden 72
Boys 14 & Under Division
- Trenton Mierl 68
T2. Corbin Null 69
T2. Nicholas Logis 69
Leaders: Preston Stout of Richardson fired an opening round 7-under-par 65 to lead the Boys 15-18 Division by one stroke heading into the final round of the North Texas Classic. Ryann Honea of San Angelo shot an impressive 5-under-par 67 and leads the charge in the Girls 12-18 Division. Austin’s Trenton Mierl shot a 4-under-par 68 to the lead the Boys 14 and Under Division by one stroke.
Contention: Richardson’s Stout carded a bogey-free round while closing out the day with a birdie on the par-3 17th and an eagle on the par-5 18th. In the Girls 12-18 Division, Honea recorded a total of six birdies (three on the front and three on the back), with a closing birdie on hole 18. Mierl, who leads the Boys 14 & Under Division, carded back-to-back birdies on the par-4 third and par-5 fourth and again on the par-5 eighth and par-3 ninth to turn at 2-under. He closed with a bogey-free 2-under 34 on the back nine to post 68.
Matthew Comegys of Plano sits in solo second after a 6-under-par 66. He drained an eagle putt from off the green on 18 to leave him just one shot off the lead heading into Sunday. Ben Gregg of Dallas is only three strokes back after carding a 4-under-par 68. In the Girls 12-18 Division, MacKenzie Moore of Trophy Club carded 4 birdies en route to a 71 and is four strokes behind Honea. McKinney’s Jenna oneHonMadden is third and five back at even par. Corbin Null of Woodway and Nicholas Logis of Austin are tied second in the Boys 14 & Under Division and currently one-stroke back of Mierl with 18 holes to play.
Tournament Format: The North Texas Classic is a 36-hole stroke play event for golfers ages 12-18 that have an active membership with the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. The event is split into three divisions: Boy 15-18, Girls 12-18 and Boys 14 & Under. Players earned their way into the field by playing in Alliance Partner Events and attaining status with the Legends Junior Tour.
Weather: Clear skies with a high of 88 degrees.
Tournament History: This is the sixth year of the North Texas Classic and the fifth year hosted by Tangle Ridge Golf Club. In 2015 the Legends Junior Tour added the event to the fall schedule to better accommodate the growing demand for more events for junior golfers. The event has seen signups grow each year and the North Texas Classic has quickly become one of the top-ranked Open Events on the LJT schedule.
Next Up: The final round of the North Texas Classic is scheduled for an 8:00 am start on Sunday with players going off No. 1. Once all the scores are in, awards will be handed out to the top five finishers in the Boys 15-18 Division and the top three finishers in the Girls 12-18 and Boys 14 & Under Divisions.
What’s at Stake: Along with an LJT victory, players are also jockeying for position to earn valuable Player of the Year points as well as exemptions into future LJT Invitational and Major events and AJGA PBE Stars. The Player of the Year Standings are used to determine player of the year along with entry into the Texas Junior Golf Alliance Invitational and set the teams for the Jackie Burke Cup matches later this year.
For more information on the North Texas Classic, click here. To see all the scores from the first round, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes