Marian Barker Wins 2020 Women’s Senior Stroke Play
Briefly: A flawless front-nine and just a single bogey, along with three birdies, gave three-time Women’s Senior Stroke Play Champion Marian Barker of Lubbock yet another championship title Wednesday afternoon. Barker carded a 2-under 70 Final Round, finishing at 5-over-par 221 at Ridglea Country Club in Fort Worth.
With a strong field and “so many past champions” Barker thought to herself, “oh my, this is going to be hard because there are so many good players.” But it may have been her personal goals she set for herself each day that lead to her success. Barker said, “I got to start in the top (final) group and said to myself, see if you can be in that group tomorrow, and then I was!” Barker won her fourth Women’s Senior Stroke Play title, as well as capturing the super-senior division title.
Jewell Malick of Heath, a recent addition to the super-super senior division and 2014, 2015, and 2016 super-senior division champion, finished —- to capture the super-super senior division title.
1) Marian Barker Lubbock 74-77-70 | 221
2) Kelly Nittoli San Antonio 74-78-74 | 226
3) Marlyn Hardy Magnolia 79-74-80 | 233
T4) Cathy Crumley San Antonio 82-76-76 | 234
T5) Stephanie Blout Mission 75-79-80 | 234
Golf Course: The John Bredemus design was built in 1928 and features a traditional layout with narrow fairways and small greens. The 18-hole championship golf course was renovated by Ralph Plummer in 1954 and then redesigned by Jay Morrish in 1987. Despite its shorter length, the tree-lined fairways and sloped Tifeagle greens have withstood the test of time and demand accuracy over brute strength.
Weather: Temperatures reached 92 degrees with wind blowing out of the West Southwest at 8 mph.
In Contention: Kelly Nittoli of San Antonio gave Barker a good run after shooting even-par 37 on the front nine. Nittoli finished in second place with a 10-over-par 266.
Magnolia’s Marilyn Hardy finished third with a 17-over-par 233, and Kathy Crumley of San Antonio and Stephnaie Blount tied for fourth with an 18-over-par total of 234.
What’s Next: The Women’s Pinehurst will be held at Panorama Golf Club on November 2-3.The Texas Golf Association would like to extend our immense gratitude to the staff and members of Ridglea Country Club for hosting and making this event memorable for all who took part.
More Info: For more information on the Women’s Senior Stroke Play, click here.
- Sulphur Springs Country Club Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome #LastCall to join us as we head East for our next #FunGolf Play Day!⠀
📍 Sulphur Springs Country Club
📅 Fri., October 9 @ 1:30 PM Shotgun Start
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf, Food ...
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post John Derrick Wins the 83rd Texas Senior Amateur
WACO – Most golfers know how important course knowledge is when it comes to certain venues. The trickier the track, the more crucial it is to know the lay of the land. ... 6 CommentsRussell Cox Well played John. There was some great players in the tournament and the course playing its most difficult.Anthony Ray Johnson Congrats Johnny D!Woody Rogers Congrats JD!!24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Craig Hurlbert Leads 83rd Texas Senior Amateur through 36 Holes
WACO – Craig Hurlbert from Magnolia is 18 holes away from his fifth amateur victory of the year. He says the key for him to win the 83rd Texas Senior ... 10 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Hurlbert, Smith Tied for 83rd Texas Senior Amateur Lead
WACO – Only two players broke par at venerable Ridgewood Country Club on Friday during the first round of the 83rd Texas Senior Amateur. Craig Hurlbert from Magnolia and Houston’s Scott ... 4 Likes
- Round 1 of the 83rd #TexasSeniorAm is underway at Ridgewood Country Club. Follow your favorite senior amateurs' progress with our live, hole-by-hole scoring: https://t.co/XasNhndFBa 3 CommentsKaren Fiducia It’s about time you let someone else win!Deborah Nesselrodt Karen Fiducia I played too well yesterday which put me in a higher flight. If I shot the game I ...Deborah Nesselrodt This was my first TGA tournament and I had a really great time and met the nicest ladies! I didn't ...Ellen Bordelon Derrick Don Bord here is where you can follow the scores!4 Likes
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes