Kahanek birdies two of closing three holes Sunday to capture 2021 Texas Cup Invitational
WACO – San Antonio’s Patrick Kahanek birdied two of the last three holes Sunday at Ridgewood Country Club to capture the 2021 Texas Cup Invitational, the first major of the Legends Junior Tour’s season.
The Antonian High School senior, who will play golf at UTSA this fall, fired a final round 68-211 54-hole total. He recorded a one-shot win over Hunter Drotts, final round 72, and Awesome Burnett, who shot a closing 64.
Byungho Lee, Garrett Endicott and Julio Alfredo Rios Brache all tied for fourth at 213 with scores of 69, 68 and 68, respectively.
“On the back nine, my caddy was looking at the scores and he said a couple of birdies could really help me, so that’s what I tried do,” Kahanek said.
Indeed it could as he rolled in a 15-footer on the par 3 16th for a birdie which moved him into a share of the lead, after early third round leader Drotts made double bogey on the same hole one group later.
Both Kahanek and Drotts pared the 17th hole, a par four, only to set up the drama on the closing challenge, the par 4 18th at Ridgewood on the shores of Lake Waco.
Kahanek had 83 yards to the green after his drive and hit a 58-degree wedge to within five feet of the hole for the closing birdie.
“The club felt really good in my hand and the yardage was right for me. I just got it up in the air, rode the (jet) stream and it was money.”
After Drotts failed to make a birdie of his own on 18, Kahanek owned the biggest victory of his LJT junior golf career.
“This is what we work for, to birdie 18 and take home the win. I’ve been doing a lot of work on my putting and it’s really paid off today.”
Drotts, who didn’t get into the tournament until the last minute, held a three-shot lead on much of the back nine, but the par 3 16th proved to be his undoing.
“I just plugged my tee shot in the back bunker and from there, where the pin was, there wasn’t much I could do. I pitched it out, but it rolled all the way to the front of the green and the overhanging trees blocked my approach.
“I gave it a good run today and almost got it done. For getting in the tournament at the last minute, I’m pleased with what I was able to accomplish. I’ve got a lot of good things to take away from this”
So does Burnett, who tied his personal tournament low, with a six-under-par 64 final round, three shots off the competitive course record at Ridgewood.
The freshman from Flower Mound got his round off to a great start by holing out from the second fairway from 68 yards for an eagle two. On the fifth hole, he made a 20-foot birdie putt from off the green en route to a front nine 30. He only added one birdie on the back side, but said it was thrilled with his round.
“I played great today. The eagle at number two really got my round going and I was able to keep it going with a bunch of putts on the front nine.
“I love this course at Ridgewood, I’ve won a couple of Starburst (junior) tournaments here and it always feels good to be back.”
While he may not return as a junior golfer, Kahanek said he felt the same about the site of his greatest junior golf win to date.
“I’ve been doing a lot of work and had some good finishes, but this is my first win in a long time. This feels like a real breakthrough for me.”
The LJT will head to Brownwood next for the Bluebonnet Championship in early May. For final scores at the Texas Cup Invitational, click here
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 22 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes
- We’re just getting started! Round 2 of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur is underway! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
for live scores, match pairings and more: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 Likes