McMyler, Winans to Play for 100th Women’s Texas Amateur Title
Emma McMyler, 19, of San Antonio, a sophomore at Xavier University, will face incoming University of Oklahoma freshman Meagan Winans, 18, of Richardson, in the championship match of the 100th Women’s Texas Amateur at River Crest Country Club.
McMyler, the No. 4 seed from stroke play, earned her spot in the final on Thursday afternoon by knocking out Auburn University sophomore Elina Sinz, 19, of Katy, 3 and 2. In the morning quarterfinal match, McMyler defeated Oklahoma State University junior Hailey Jones, 21, of Dallas, 7 and 6.
Winans took down No. 6 seed and University of Texas commit Bohyun Park, 18, of Farmers Branch, in the other semifinal match, 2 and 1. Winans defeated her big sister, Libby, a 21-year-old senior at OU, in the morning quarterfinal, 6 and 4.
McMyler, who two weeks ago won the TGA Women’s Stroke Play Championship at Comanche Trace in Kerrville, never trailed in her semifinal match. She grabbed a 2-up lead after nine holes on Sinz and then went 3-up with a birdie on the par-4 12th. McMyler’s lead was back to 2-up when Sinz birdied the par-3 15th. On the long par-4 16th, McMyler hit a hybrid from 200 yards out to 20 feet. A tap-in par ended the match when Sinz failed to get up and down from right of the green.
“My strategy has been to hit fairways and greens and give myself a chance on every hole,” McMyler said. “I’m going to keep trying to make pars and if I happen to make a birdie, all the better.”
Winans, who was ranked by Golfweek as the No. 13 recruit in the country and No. 2 in the state of Texas, also never trailed in her afternoon match. She was 1-up through nine holes on Park and retained her lead as the two players tied the next six holes with pars. The difficult 16th again proved to be decisive when Park hit her approach shot into the water hazard guarding the left side of the green. Winans blocked her second shot out to the right and then mishit her chip shot short of the green. She got up and down from there for bogey, which was good enough to win the hole and go 2-up. Winans secured her spot in the championship final when the two tied the 17th.
“I’ve driven the ball well this week and the times when I have missed the fairway or green, I’ve managed to recover thanks to my putting which has been very solid,” Winans said. “The greens are very difficult, but for some reason I feel very comfortable on them.”
The 18-hole championship match is scheduled to begin at 10:10 a.m. on Friday.
The players who didn’t qualify for the Championship Bracket were divided into seven match play flights based on their World Handicap System Indexes as of July 23. All seven flights played their semifinals on Thursday with the winners advancing to the finals, which will start at 8 a.m.
In the First Flight, Trinity King of Arlington defeated Hanna Liu of Austin, 20 holes. Patricia Sinolungan of Denton defeated Jordan Dusckas of Highland Village, 6 and 5. King and Sinolungan will meet in the First Flight final on Friday.
In the Second Flight, Hunter Nugent of Irving defeated Madison Goldberg of Austin, 2 and 1. Aysis Azarcon of Grand Prairie defeated Anna Takahashi of Grapevine, 3 and 2. Nugent and Azarcon will meet in the Second Flight final on Friday.
In the Third Flight, Rebecca Reed of Midland defeated EG Messenger of Montgomery, 8 and 6. Gabriella Tomanka of Grapevine defeated Madison Head of Haslet, 2 and 1. Reed and Tomanka will meet in the Third Flight final on Friday.
In the Fourth Flight, Eubin Shim of Woodway defeated Elle Fox of Copperas Cove, 1-up. Meagan Pistone of Montgomery defeated Sarah Kmiecik of Houston, 6 and 5. Shim and Pistone will meet in the Fourth Flight final on Friday.
In the Fifth Flight, Brandee Fleming of Magnolia defeated Caitlyn Lindell of Grand Prairie, 2-up. Paige Wood of McKinney defeated Gracie Heinle of Conroe, 6 and 5. Fleming and Wood will meet in the Fifth Flight final on Friday.
In the Sixth Flight, Simone Campise of Lewisville defeated Jennifer Hoyt of Horseshoe Bay, 3 and 2. Meghan Meserole of Austin defeated Ellie Rippee of McKinney, 1-up. Campise and Meserole will meet in the Sixth Flight final on Friday.
In the Seventh Flight, Piper Frisbie of Flower Mound defeated Anna Schultz of Heath, 3 and 2. Olive Henry of Ennis defeated Mallory Matthews of Hondo, 19 holes. Frisbie and Olive will meet in the Seventh Flight final on Friday.
Live scoring updates will be available once the action gets underway from River Crest Country Club.
In celebration of its Centennial Championship this year, the Women’s Texas Amateur has returned to the place where it all started. Opened in 1911, River Crest Country Club hosted the first-ever Women’s Texas Amateur in 1916 and then again in 1922, 1932 and 1949. The historic club on the western edge of downtown also was the site of the Texas Amateur in 1917, 1922 and 1954.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes