Texas Mid-Amateur Set for Sept. 10-12
The state’s top amateur golfers aged 25 and older will gather at The Clubs at Houston Oaks in Hockley from Sept. 10-12 for the 38th Texas Mid-Amateur, the third of this year’s four men’s major amateur championships conducted by the Texas Golf Association.
This will be the first major stroke-play event and third TGA championship overall to be held at Houston Oaks. The club previously hosted two team match-play competitions, the 2018 Texas Shootout and 2020 Jackie Burke Cup Matches. Houston Oaks is also scheduled to host the 114th Texas Amateur in 2023.
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to The Clubs at Houston Oaks for the 38th Texas Mid-Amateur,” said John Cochran IV, Director of Competitions for the TGA. “The club is committed to promoting amateur golf, and we are honored to be back at this exceptional facility and working together with their staff in conducting a truly memorable championship.”
The Clubs at Houston Oaks is a luxury family resort situated on nearly 1,000 acres in picturesque Waller County, about 35 miles northwest of downtown Houston, that was once home to Tennwood Golf Club. The club’s 18-hole championship course was designed by Chet Williams and opened for play in 2017 following an extensive 17-month reimagining and overhaul of the existing property. Williams’ stunning 7,007-yard, par-71 layout is framed by groves of centuries-old oak trees, natural water features and vast native areas. With a wonderful variety of long and short holes, doglegs, rolling fairways and large green complexes, Houston Oaks is certain to test every facet of a player’s game and identify a worthy champion.
“We’re really excited about having the Texas Mid-Amateur here, and the course will be in excellent condition,” said Nick Holligan, Houston Oaks’ Head Golf Professional. “We’re proud to host the TGA’s big amateur championships and are going to do our best to put on a good show and make sure everyone enjoys their time at Houston Oaks.”
The Texas Mid-Amateur is open to male amateurs with a World Handicap System Index of 8.4 or less, have reached the age of 25 by the tournament start date and are current Texas residents.
This year’s starting field will include 132 players, who earned entry into the championship through an exemption category or 18-hole sectional qualifying at one of 13 sites across the state from July 7 – Sept. 1.
Format for the championship is 54 holes individual stoke play. All contestants will play 18 holes Sept. 10-11. After 36 holes the field will be cut to the low 54 players and ties heading into the final round. In addition to the overall champion, an award will be given to the Low Mid-Master (40-plus years of age).
At the 2020 Texas Mid-Amateur, held at Oak Hills Country Club in San Antonio, Ryan O’Rear of Leander drained an 8-foot birdie putt on the seventh playoff hole to win the title over two-time champion and host club member Colby Harwell. The two players were tied at the end of regulation play with 3-under-par 210 totals. Padden Nelson of Houston finished in third place, and also earned Low Mid-Master recognition, with a 2-under 211 total.
Both O’Rear and Harwell are set to compete at Houston Oaks and will be joined by five other Texas Mid-Amateur past champions. They are Christopher Wheeler of Addison (2019), Josh Irving of Dallas (2016), Clay Hodge of Bryan (2013), Beau Davis of Abilene (2011) and Rob Couture of Dallas (2008).
Among the other notable players who will be vying for the title include 2020 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play champion Aaron Hickman of Tyler, 2020 Texas Senior Amateur champion John Derrick of Waco, 2020 Texas Senior Player of the Year Mike Lohner of Southlake and 2020 South Regional Player of the Year Kevin Liberto of Cypress.
Live scoring updates and daily recaps, as well as tee-times and pairings, will be available at txga.org once the action gets underway from The Clubs at Houston Oaks.
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers check your email for this exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @ShortPar4. Get your custom UA Polo today, starting at only $35! Sale extended through Friday.
Follow the link for TGA Players Box specials for ...
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congrats to the 2021 Texas Four-Ball Champions Colby Amparan and Gary Ezmerlian 👏🏆
🔸Senior Winners: Ron Finnerty & Tommy Tucker
🔸 Super Senior Winners: Aaron Billings & Richard Koenig
📖 Final Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/29/colby-amparan-and-gary-ezmerlian-win-texas-four-ball/
📶 Results: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association ... 18 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Two teams sit tied atop the leaderboard heading into Sunday’s final round of the #Texas4Ball 😎
Colby Amparan & Gary Ezmerlian as well as Derek Abel and Chris Wheeler share the lead at 12-under par.
📖R2 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/28/two-teams-share-lead-heading-into-final-round-at-texas-four-ball/
... 10 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Round 2 of the #Texas4Ball is underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Apple Rock Course!
💥 Aaron Hickman and Rob Couture lead the field by two as they begin their second round.
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf ... 8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball was suspended due to darkness and will resume tomorrow morning at 7:45 a.m.
Aaron Hickman and Rob Couture currently lead at 9-under par.
📖 R1 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/27/round-one-of-texas-four-ball-suspended-hickman-and-couture-lead/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at ... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post All 😃’s as Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball gets underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort Apple Rock! ⏰
ℹ️ More info: https://www.txga.org/tga-texas-four-ball-texas-golf-association-2021/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf Course. 12 Likes
- Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29 Texas Four-Ball Set for Aug. 27-29
“We are extremely excited to have the opportunity to return to Horseshoe Bay Resort for this year’s Texas Four-Ball Championship.” -Chris Untiedt, TGA Tournament Director
Follow the 🔗 for more. 5 Likes
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsThank you TGA for a beautiful tribute to such an amazing man. John was simply the BEST! He will be ...Oh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes