Cooper, Han and Logis Win Fall Challenge
Briefly: Preston Cooper of Dallas made birdie on the first playoff hole to secure the Boys Division of the Fall Challenge at The Rawls Course. Jiyu Han of Cedar Park won the Girls Division at 2-under, while Nicholas Logis of Austin won the Boys 14 & Under Division at 7-under.
Division Winners: Preston Cooper was tied with Brian Comegys at 7-under 137 following 36 holes and the two went into a sudden-death playoff to declare the champion. Cooper went first on the par-3 10th and stuck his tee shot to just inside of 10 feet, while Comegys found the left side of the green about 40 feet away. Comegys lagged up close and tapped in his par, but Cooper left no doubt as his birdie putt went into the middle of the hole. He picked up his first win with the Legends Junior Tour. Jiyu Han played consistent golf in the West Texas winds, carding two rounds of 1-under 71 to get to 2-under overall and two strokes ahead of the Girls Division. Han is the current Girls 12-18 Division Player of the Year leader and picked up her first win of the season on Sunday. Nicholas Logis completed his wire-to-wire victory in the Boys 14 & Under Division, shooting 6-under 66 in the first round and 1-under 71 in the second to get to 7-under overall and four strokes ahead of the field. Logis amassed 10 total birdies in 36 holes.
Top Finishers: In the Boys Division, Austin’s Brian Comegys finished runner-up after falling short in the playoff to Cooper. Comegys posted rounds of 68-69 to get to 7-under overall and missed his birdie putt in the playoff by inches. Sam Dossey, who has won the last two Boys Divisions at LJT events, finished third at 6-under, while Andrew Tan and Jonathan Kim finished tied for fourth at 5-under. In the Girls Division, Grace Frei of The Colony finished second at even-par, while McKinney’s Jenna Madden finished third at 1-over. Emma Von Hoffmann and Estelle Seon tied for fourth in the division. In the Boys 14 & Under Division, Luke Colton of Frisco finished second, followed by Dallas’ Reese Roberts in third and three players tied for fourth.
Golf Course: The Rawls Course at Texas Tech has hosted the Fall Challenge the last two times. The Rawls Course was designed by Tom Doak and opened in 2003. The course features wide fairways and contoured greens, stretching out to 7,000 yards in the Boys 15-18 Division, 6,500 yards in the Boys 14 & Under Division and 5,900 yards in the Girls 12-18 Division.
Weather: The winds picked up on Sunday as they stayed around 20 miles per hour throughout the day with gusts upwards of 30 mph. Temperatures started in the 60s for the final round and crept up into the low 80s with the sun shining.
Tournament Format: The Fall Challenge is a 36-hole stroke play event with players ages 12-18 that have an active membership within the Texas Junior Golf Alliance. The 84-player field is split into a Boys Division, Girls Division and a Boys 14 & Under Division.
Texas Junior Golf Alliance: The Alliance is a joint venture between the Texas Golf Association, Northern and Southern Texas PGA and Houston Golf Association. The goal of the Alliance was to allow junior golfers a clear path to the best tournaments in Texas. Each of the three tier-two organizations (STPGA, NTPGA, HGA) conduct events that serve as qualifiers into the statewide tier-one events run by the Legends Junior Tour (LJT). This allows players to compete in local events in which they can earn spots to play in statewide tournaments.
Next Up: The Legends Junior Tour heads to Corpus Christi for the James A. Ragan Memorial on Oct. 10-11. The 84-player field will take on Corpus Christi Country Club as players continue to position themselves for Player of the Year and Jackie Burke Cup team places.
For more information on the Fall Challenge, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Gary Durbin Wins the 84th Texas Senior Amateur
HOUSTON – Gary Durbin won his second Texas Senior Amateur on Sunday at Westwood Golf Club, a one-shot victory in the 84th edition of the major championship. He played the classic parkland ...
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Gary Durbin Leads 84th Texas Senior Amateur after 36 Holes
HOUSTON – Gary Durbin is 18 holes away from winning the 84th Texas Senior Amateur. The Houston resident fired a tidy 2-under-par 70 in Saturday’s second round at Westwood Golf ... 8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Four Tied for Lead after Round 1 at 84th Texas Senior Amateur
HOUSTON – On one of the best weather days of the year in Southeast Texas, Westwood Golf Club stood tall against the best senior amateurs in the state. ... 10 Likes
- Connections Made, History Felt at African American Golf Expo Two USGA staffers recently had the opportunity to bring artifacts and share stories at the inaugural African American Golf Expo and Forum in Atlanta. 4 Likes
- Play it Forward with Youth on Course We believe in the power of golf and we’re passionate about the power of play.
Thank you to #GolfNow and GolfNow users who together have helped subsidize more than 150,000 rounds of golf for #YouthOnCourse members with just their spare ...
- Timeline Photos This past weekend, the TGA entered a group of staff & a #FunGolf Series golf participant in the #Turner12 Golfing for Grads #fundraiser where they placed 1st with a gross score of 53! #Congratulations to Tanner Giles, Zach Madison, Kristen ... 3 CommentsCongratulations !!! Thank you again for participating 💚⛳Wow! Great playing!Sam Hansard Nice post and I just saw your post on Facebook and I took the liberty to visit your ...Sam Hansard Nice post and I just saw your post on Facebook and I took the liberty to visit your ...16 Likes
- High Meadow Ranch Golf Club Play Day Event :: LAST CALL: Grab a partner & head south to #Houston for our upcoming #FunGolf Play Day!
📅 Thurs., Sept. 23 @ 9AM
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble
🏆 Includes 18 holes, range balls, cart & prizes
Follow the 🔗link to register now! 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Fort Worth’s Freddie Janneck rides a final round 4-under 67 to a three shot victory and becomes the 38th #TXMidAm Champion. 🏆
📖 Final Recap: bit.ly/3lfke8F
📶 Leaderboard: bit.ly/38YcXnN
Texas Golf Association is at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. 21 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Aaron Hickman & Ryan O’Rear share the lead heading into Sunday’s final round at the 38th #TXMidAm
📖 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/09/11/orear-and-hickman-share-lead-at-38th-texas-mid-amateur/
📶 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/3196531
Texas Golf Association is at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. 7 Likes
- Timeline Photos 🚨#TGAGiveaway🚨
Don't miss your shot at 3 Custom-Built Edison Golf Wedges! Contest ends Wed., Sept. 15 at midnight.
Texas Golf Association (Facebook & Instagram)
Follow the link for more details!
https://qoo.ly/3dzzj9 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post William Aycock leads by two with 36 holes remaining. He birdied 5 of his last 6 holes to take the round 1 lead. 🔥
📶 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/3196531
#TXMidAm | The Clubs at Houston Oaks 4 CommentsWilliam BlairGo get ‘em William Blair!Thanks Bill! Hit it great all week but needed you there putting for me last two days hahaWilliam Blair hahaha, that’s scaryThanks Bill! Hit it great all week but needed you there putting for me last two days haha11 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers check your email for this exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @ShortPar4. Get your custom Oxford Pullover today, starting at only $45!
Follow the link for TGA Players Box specials for men & women! 1 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers check your email for this exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @ShortPar4. Get your custom UA Polo today, starting at only $35! Sale extended through Friday.
Follow the link for TGA Players Box specials for ...
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congrats to the 2021 Texas Four-Ball Champions Colby Amparan and Gary Ezmerlian 👏🏆
🔸Senior Winners: Ron Finnerty & Tommy Tucker
🔸 Super Senior Winners: Aaron Billings & Richard Koenig
📖 Final Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/29/colby-amparan-and-gary-ezmerlian-win-texas-four-ball/
📶 Results: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association ... 18 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Two teams sit tied atop the leaderboard heading into Sunday’s final round of the #Texas4Ball 😎
Colby Amparan & Gary Ezmerlian as well as Derek Abel and Chris Wheeler share the lead at 12-under par.
📖R2 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/28/two-teams-share-lead-heading-into-final-round-at-texas-four-ball/
... 10 Likes