Austen Fulmer Leads 37th Texas Mid-Amateur
SAN ANTONIO – Austen Fulmer of Austin holds the first-round lead of the 37th Texas Mid-Amateur after turning in a brilliant 5-under-par 66 at the historic Oak Hills Country Club.
Fulmer, who qualified for the championship with a 73 at the Lighthouse Country Club, made four birdies on his opening nine to card a bogey-free 4-under-par 32. He didn’t slow down on his closing loop. Fulmer made a clutch up and down for par on the par-4 first hole to continue the momentum. His only bogey of the day came on the par-4 eighth, but it didn’t rattle the 38-year-old mid-am.
Fulmer hit his tee shot on the par-3 ninth to 15 feet and drained the putt for birdie to post 5-under.
“It’s just one shot at a time,” said Fulmer, who is playing in his first Texas Mid-Amateur. “I think you play golf 18 individual times with the way the game is scored. So, honestly I play one at a time.”
Fulmer didn’t play college golf but has been playing in competitive amateur events for several years. He’ll carry a one-shot lead into Saturday’s second round over Padden Nelson.
“Oh, now I’m more nervous about tomorrow,” said Fulmer with a laugh. “If I had been three or four over I would have been comfortable. But now that I’m 5-under heading into tomorrow, yeah I’ll be more nervous.”
Foremost among those chasing Fulmer is Nelson. The Houston resident carded six birdies as well in his opening round to go along with two bogeys. Nelson, a former collegiate golfer at Newman University, says he’ll try to remain patient throughout the next two days of the championship.
“You don’t want to get ahead of yourself,” Nelson said. “There’s way too many golfers to worry about where your standing.”
Among the top of the leaderboard is Will Dennis of Fort Worth and Sean Heidrick of Plano. They will begin Saturday two shots back of Fulmer after rounds of 3-under-par 68.
Colby Harwell, a two-time Texas Mid-Amateur champion (2017-18) and Oak Hills Country Club member, is tied fifth with Zach Winkler of Prosper. Harwell and Winkler carded rounds of 2-under-par 69.
A total of eight players are within four shots of Fulmer with 36 holes to play.
This is the first Texas Mid-Amateur contested at Oak Hills Country Club, which has a long history of playing host to TGA major championships. Most recently, in 2016 the club hosted the 107th Texas Amateur, won by Frederick Wedel. Oak Hills was also the site of the 2015 Texas Senior Amateur and 2013 Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play, both won by Mike Booker.
Founded in 1922, Oak Hills was designed by A.W. Tillinghast. The renowned golf course architect’s strategic design philosophy has stood the test of time and is evident throughout Oak Hills. Tree-lined fairways, bunker-protected greens and contoured putting surfaces are elegantly combined to demand the most from a golfer’s shot-making and course management skills.
Over the years numerous upgrades have been made at Oak Hills, and in 2017, Tripp Davis completed an extensive $6.5 million restoration that has improved playing conditions, fortified the course’s original design elements and revitalized its natural beauty. The first round of the Texas Mid-Amateur was played from 6,729 yards.
Defending champion Chris Wheeler of Addison posted an even par 71. He’s tied for ninth place with seven others, including this year’s Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play champion Aaron Hickman of Tyler.
The second round of the Texas Mid-Amateur starts Saturday at 8 a.m. For more information, click here.
- Austen Fulmer leads the #TexasMidAm after an opening 5-under-par 66 Oak Hills Country Club San Antonio. The 38-year-old will carry a one-stroke lead into Saturday's second round.
📒 Recap: https://txga.org/2020/10/02/austen-fulmer-leads-37th-texas-mid-amateur/
🔗 Leaderboard: https://txga.org/texas-mid-amateur-leaderboard-2020/ 4 Likes
- Sulphur Springs Country Club Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome #LastCall to join us as we head East for our next #FunGolf Play Day!⠀
📍 Sulphur Springs Country Club
📅 Fri., October 9 @ 1:30 PM Shotgun Start
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf, Food ...
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post John Derrick Wins the 83rd Texas Senior Amateur
WACO – Most golfers know how important course knowledge is when it comes to certain venues. The trickier the track, the more crucial it is to know the lay of the land. ... 7 CommentsRussell Cox Well played John. There was some great players in the tournament and the course playing its most difficult.Anthony Ray Johnson Congrats Johnny D!Woody Rogers Congrats JD!!26 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Craig Hurlbert Leads 83rd Texas Senior Amateur through 36 Holes
WACO – Craig Hurlbert from Magnolia is 18 holes away from his fifth amateur victory of the year. He says the key for him to win the 83rd Texas Senior ... 10 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Hurlbert, Smith Tied for 83rd Texas Senior Amateur Lead
WACO – Only two players broke par at venerable Ridgewood Country Club on Friday during the first round of the 83rd Texas Senior Amateur. Craig Hurlbert from Magnolia and Houston’s Scott ... 4 Likes
- Round 1 of the 83rd #TexasSeniorAm is underway at Ridgewood Country Club. Follow your favorite senior amateurs' progress with our live, hole-by-hole scoring: https://t.co/XasNhndFBa 3 CommentsKaren Fiducia It’s about time you let someone else win!Deborah Nesselrodt Karen Fiducia I played too well yesterday which put me in a higher flight. If I shot the game I ...Deborah Nesselrodt This was my first TGA tournament and I had a really great time and met the nicest ladies! I didn't ...Ellen Bordelon Derrick Don Bord here is where you can follow the scores!4 Likes
- TPC San Antonio Play Day Event Portal :: Welcome Play where the Pros play as we head south to play TPC San Antonio's AT&T Oak's Course.⠀
📍 TPC San Antonio
📆 Wed., October 14 @ 12PM
🏌️ 2-Person Scramble (Gross & Net)
🏆 Includes Golf & Prizes⠀
... 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Lauren Tuttle Sherwood Congrats to Mr. Brown!! He’s such a great supporter of junior golf!Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes