Ryan O’Rear Wins 37th Texas Mid-Amateur
SAN ANTONIO – Ryan O’Rear won the 37th Texas Mid-Amateur late Sunday afternoon after defeating two-time champion Colby Harwell on the seventh sudden-death playoff hole at Oak Hills Country Club. The 29-year-old from Leander captures the victory with a 72-hole total of 3-under 210.
Before one of the most historic sudden-death playoffs in TGA history, O’Rear’s final round was nothing short of impressive. The former Baylor University standout started with four-straight bogeys and was seven shots behind the leaders. However, he birdied the par-5 fifth and something clicked. The rest of his round was the best golf of the week.
O’Rear birdied the par-4 eighth and par-3 ninth to turn at 1-over 36. He eagled the par-5 10th and carried his momentum throughout his closing loop. After carding four more birdies on his back nine to card a bogey-free 5-under 30, O’Rear was in the clubhouse with a one-stroke lead.
“It was a roller coaster,” O’Rear said. “Obviously, it wasn’t a very good start. But my caddy did a great job today of just keeping me positive. On the back nine, I don’t really know what happened. I started hitting it close and making a lot of birdies and somehow got in a playoff.”
Harwell, who played one group behind O’Rear, carded five birdies and posted the second lowest round of the day with 4-under-par 67. The two-time Texas Mid-Amateur champion and Oak Hills member also posted 3-under 210 through 54 holes.
After the last few groups finished, O’Rear and Harwell headed to the 18th tee for a sudden-death playoff. Both players made par and the battle was off and running. O’Rear and Harwell traded punch for punch for the next hour and 15 minutes. On the seventh playoff hole, O’Rear left himself a seven-foot birdie putt up the hill. He buried it to clinch the victory.
“That was a great playoff,” O’Rear. “I’ve known Colby for a long time and played a lot of golf with him. He had a great week and it was a great battle.”
Harwell adds this runner-up finish to his wins in 2017 and 2018. He’s also a two-time champion of the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play (2017, 2019). The highly touted amateur was very complimentary of O’Rear’s game.
“That playoff is exactly why we still come out here and play,” Harwell said. “Ryan is a really good player. It was very impressive, but honestly I expected it.”
Finishing solo third and earning low-mid master honors was Padden Nelson of Houston. The 40-year-old carded a closing 4-over 75 to post 2-under-par 211 overall. Blake Parks of Odessa, Danny Simmerman of Shavano Park, Justin Kaplan of Houston and Johnathan Schnitzer of Houston shared fourth place at 1-under 212.
The TGA extends sincere appreciation to Oak Hills, its attentive staff and engaged membership, as well as our volunteers for all their help and support ahead of and during the 37th Texas Mid-Amateur.
Extra special thanks to Director of Golf and Club Operations Cary Collins, Head Golf Professional Ryan Polzin, Director of Agronomy Jeff Visser and his amazing grounds crew, Food and Beverage Director Santiago Vasquez and Executive Chef Dennie Upton. The 37th Texas Mid-Amateur would not have been possible without their efforts.
For more information on the 37th Texas Mid-Amateur, click here.
- The 2021 Texas Golf Association Amateur Championship to begin this weekend! Hear from our very own John Cochran about the #SouthAm taking place this weekend at Galveston Country Club.
ℹ️ Follow along here: https://t.co/tCvFKgk5XL
📽 via FOX 26 Houston
https://www-fox26houston-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.fox26houston.com/video/963263.amp 23 Likes
- Texas Golf Association on Twitter 🚨MIXER ALERT🚨 Join us for #HappyHour! Register solo or up to a team of six! Price includes 2hrs of #Topgolf, buffet & more! Compete for raffles & prizes. Guests 21+ enjoy a round of beer/wine on us! SPACE IS LIMITED. ... 1 Likes
- It is with deep sadness that the TGA announces the passing of John Semander. The longtime TGA volunteer and Past Director passed away on July 27. He was 89 years old.
Read More: https://bit.ly/3xiWlB0 13 CommentsOh man so sorry to hear. He was an incredible man!!! I’m glad that I had the privilege to work ...A good man with such a warm demeanor and servants heart. He was that rare person who could put a ...A lovely man, was so kind to me when I worked over there. Have such positive memories of him. RIP John33 Likes
- TGA Par-Tee | TopGolf Dallas Come Par-Tee with the TGA for #HappyHour at #Topgolf #Dallas! Enjoy a buffet of food, drinks, snacks & desserts, plus 2 hours of 🏌️♂️! Bays will compete for #SwagBags & a #FunGolf Play Day for two! Did we mention the ... 1 Likes
- Pairings and starting times for the Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play have been released! More info 👇
⏰Starting times: https://www.txga.org/2021-texas-mid-amateur-match-play-leaderboard/
Texas Golf Association is at Trinity Forest Golf Club. 1 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 93rd West Texas Amateur Champion Garrett Leek🏆
🏆Senior Champion: Mike Booker
🏆Super Senior Champion: Craig Urban
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 24 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jansen Smith of San Angelo and Garrett Leek of Brock share the lead through two rounds at the #WestTexasAm 🏜
18 holes remain at Abilene Country Club (South Course)
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - ... 6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🪣 🪣 bucket hats are out in full force. Round 2 of the #WestTexasAm is in action.
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2021
Texas Golf Association is at Abilene Country Club - South Course. 7 Likes
- Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play Set for July 22-25 The Texas Mid-Amateur Match Play is set for July 22-25 pitting the top amateur golfers age 25+ against one another at Trinity Forest Golf Club, one of the most unique venues in Texas. Follow the link for more! 7 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers Check your email inboxes for your exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @shortpar4. Save on men's and women's G/FORE shoes available for only $145 and 4 doz. TaylorMade balls for only $144! Want more deals? ...
- EMMA MCMYLER is your 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur Champion! #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 23 CommentsWay to go, Emma! 👏⛳️🎊Congratulations Emma! So proud of you!!Congrats Emma. Great result. Up Louisburgh!!64 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post The four semifinalists competing to advance to the championship round of the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur have began their matches!
live scoring: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 9 Likes
- We want to thank all of our amazing volunteers who came out to help at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur!
This wouldn’t be possible without you guys
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 1 CommentsThank you! USGA Volunteers!15 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post After 2 rounds of match play, these elite 8 players will compete tomorrow in the quarterfinals.
scores from this afternoon: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is at River Crest Country Club. 8 Likes
- The day is not over yet 🤯 The 16 winners of this morning’s matches are going back out again!
The second round of matches is underway at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur #rivercrestcountryclub #100texasamateur
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 1 CommentsWatching and cheering the women golfers on from Fair Oaks Ranch!10 Likes
- The TGA sincerely thanks the all River Crest Country Club staff and grounds crew. The 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur couldn’t happen without you and we are grateful for all your hard work.
Texas Golf Association is at River ... 3 CommentsWe couldn’t have wonderful courses without them-thanks!!At every course this is the group of men/women that make it possible for their members to enjoy the sport ...River Crest is so beautiful!26 Likes
- and just like that, match 1 is over 😱 with no. 1 seed Kenlie Barrett defeating no. 32 seed Cari Denson at the 💯 Women’s Texas Amateur
(8 & 7)!!
keep following along: https://www.txga.org/tga-100th-womens-texas-amateur-leaderboard-texas-golf-association/
Texas Golf Association is ... 3 Likes