Welcome to a New Era in Golf Handicapping
World Handicap System
The new World Handicap System (WHS) began rolling out in January 2020. It provides golfers with a unified and more inclusive handicapping system.
About the WHSThe formation of the WHS was first conceived in 2011 between the USGA and The R&A in an effort to engage more golfers in the game and promote equity, no matter where golf is played. The years-long project has resulted in the unification of six existing worldwide handicapping systems into one, while embracing the many ways the game is played across cultures.
The USGA and The R&A believe the main objectives and key features of the new WHS, which are summarized below, will help strengthen and foster growth of the entire game for years to come by meeting the needs of the modern-day golfer.
The tenets of the new system focus on three main objectives:
- To encourage as many golfers as possible to obtain and maintain a Handicap Index;
- To enable golfers of differing abilities, genders and countries to transport their Handicap Index to any course globally and compete on a fair basis;
- To indicate with sufficient accuracy the score a golfer is reasonably capable of achieving on any course around the world, playing under normal conditions.
The new system will feature the following:
- Flexibility in formats of play, allowing both competitive and recreational rounds to count for handicap purposes and ensuring that a golfer’s Handicap Index is more reflective of their demonstrated ability;
- A minimal number of scores needed to obtain a Handicap Index; golfers will be able to obtain one after 54 holes from any combination of 9-hole and 18-hole rounds;
- A Handicap Index that is portable from course to course and country to country through worldwide use of the USGA Course Rating System that is used in more than 80 countries worldwide;
- An average-based calculation of a Handicap Index, taken from the best eight out of the last 20 scores and factoring in memory of demonstrated ability for better responsiveness and control;
- A calculation that considers the impact that abnormal course and weather conditions might have on a player’s performance each day;
- Daily handicap revisions, which is a modern and responsive feature of the new system that relies on golfers to submit their scores on the same day of play;
- Net Double Bogey as the maximum hole score (for handicapping purposes only). Net Double Bogey makes it easier for golfers to understand their maximum score per hole while also helping ensure proper pace of play. Example: A player with a Course Handicap of 18 receives one stroke per hole; the player’s max score is triple bogey on any hole, which equals a Net Double Bogey;
- A maximum Handicap Index limit of 54.0, regardless of gender, to encourage more golfers to measure and track their performance to increase their enjoyment of the game. The previous max handicap of 36 was seen as too high of a bar for new golfers. By raising the max handicap to 54, it allows for more new golfers to get a handicap and feel like they are good enough to have one.
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Trey Bosco wins the 111th Texas Amateur after a closing 2-under-par 69 at Boot Ranch. The 18-year-old from Austin captures the victory by one and is the second straight Baylor Men's Golf player to hoist the H.L. Edwards Memorial Trophy.
... 1 CommentsBoot Ranch Congratulations, Trey Bosco!36 Likes
- Caleb Hicks from Arlington is 18 holes away from capturing the biggest amateur title in his young career. The 20-year-old UTA Men's Golf junior leads the #TexasAmateur by two shots headed into Sunday’s final at Boot Ranch.
📒 Recap: https://txga.org/2020/08/08/caleb-hicks-leads-111th-texas-amateur-by-two-shots/
... 14 Likes
- 🏆 Round 3 is underway at Boot Ranch!
🔗 Full Leaderboard: https://txga.org/111th-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/
#TexasAmateur 10 Likes
- Chris Wheeler leads the #TexasAmateur thru 36 holes following rounds of 64-71. The defending #TexasMidAm champion heads into the weekend with a one-shot lead.
Round 3 will begin at Boot Ranch at 8:00 a.m.
📒 Recap: https://txga.org/2020/08/07/chris-wheeler-holds-lead-at-111th-texas-amateur/
🔗 Leaderboard: https://txga.org/111th-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/ 10 Likes
- Just a moment... We were saddened to learn Robert Jess Claiborne, a longtime TGA Board Member, passed away on Aug. 1 in Alto, New Mexico. He was 73. Jess was a tremendous player and supporter of golf and the TGA. 4 CommentsTrevor Hyde Great man and a big supporter of the TGADavid Pocknall Very sad, only met him a couple of times but remember them, way to youngSam Hansard Always made you feel good about yourself! Will miss you Jess!4 Likes
- 🏆 Round 2 is underway at Boot Ranch!
🔗 Full Leaderboard: https://txga.org/111th-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/
#TexasAmateur 11 Likes
- 🎥 What a start to the #TexasAmateur @bootranchtx! Chris Wheeler, a 37-year-old mid-amateur fires a bogey-free 7-under-par 64. The defending #TexasMidAm champion leads the field by one stroke. 2 Comments 13 Likes
- Chris Wheeler leads the #TexasAmateur following a 7-under-par 64. The 37-year-old's bogey-free opening round gives him a one-shot lead. The defending #TexasMidAm champion finds himself in contention once again at a TGA Major Championship.
Round 1 was suspended due to ... 20 Likes
- 🎥 Boot Ranch is hosting the #TexasAmateur for the first time in history! Known as one of the premier clubs in the state of Texas, the 7,155-yard championship course is set to welcome some of the best amateurs to the ... 2 CommentsRob Addington Best of luck to the players and staff. You are in for a treat. Stay safe and hit it straight. John Hendry Great video promotion of this Tourney at this top quality Course!17 Likes
- 🏆 Serena Shah carded rounds of 76-71-77 at Crown Colony to claim the Women’s Stroke Play Championship title. The Southern Methodist University junior joins a great list of #WomensStrokePlay champions!
🗒 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2020/08/01/serena-shah-wins-womens-stroke-play-championship/
🔢 Full Leaderboard:https://www.txga.org/womens-stroke-play-2020-leaderboard/ 1 CommentsLarry Kelting congrats7 Likes
- NGF reports records amount of golf are being played right now, and courses are in better shape than ever – all thanks to amazing club superintendents. Recognize your golf course superintendent by tagging your super/club below using the hashtag #SuperShoutout ... 3 CommentsJason R. Smith Mike Hundley does an amazing job at Paris Golf and country club!!! With the budget and staff he has, comparatively ...Mike Hundley Jason R. Smith thanks budTobias Herrera IV Scott Terry the best around! Pine Forest Country ClubScott Terry Thanks TShawn Stoute Tobias Herrera IV second that!!Jack Wickstrom Landon Wickstrom and Christopher Blair!Christopher Blair Thanks Jack!6 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Texas Golf Association added 121 new photos. 1 CommentsCraig Rickaway Website is not coming up to join the origanization.Texas Golf Association Craig Rickaway We apologize for the inconvenience! We are working diligently to get our website back up as soon as ...21 Likes
- JT Pittman joins a long history of #WestTexasAm Champions. After a final round 2-under-par 70 at Bentwood Country Club, the Midland College sophomore finished at 8-under overall and two strokes better than the field.
🗒 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2020/07/19/jt-pittman-wins-92nd-west-texas-amateur/
🔢 Results: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/ 9 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congratulations to the 92nd West Texas Amateur Champions!
🏆 Championship Division: JT Pittman (68-70-70 (-8))
🏆 Senior Division: Lewis Stephenson (77-70-66 (-3))
🏆 Super Senior Division: Doug Hopton-Jones (75-73-73 (+5))
#WestTexasAm 1 CommentsAlan Phillips Way to go, Lewis!25 Likes
- 🚨 Final Round is underway at Bentwood Country Club!
🔗 Follow live scoring here: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/
#WestTexasAm 4 Likes
- JT Pittman followed his 4-under 68 in Round 1 with a 2-under 70 on Saturday. He leads by one stroke with 18 holes left to play at Bentwood Country Club.
🗒 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2020/07/18/jt-pittman-takes-the-lead-at-92nd-west-texas-amateur/
🔢 Full Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/west-texas-amateur-leaderboard-2020/
#WestTexasAm 1 CommentsDeana Heard Smith Awesome job JT Finish Strong8 Likes