J. Holland Humphries Leads Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship
DALLAS – J. Holland Humphries came into this week with one goal: play with a carefree mindset. On Wednesday, the No. 1 ranked junior golfer in Texas displayed confidence and poise en route to a 7-under-par 64. He leads the Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship at Lakewood Country Club by three strokes at 11-under with 18 holes left to play.
“I just tried to not make too much of it today,” Humphries said. “I have kind of had a carefree mindset this entire tournament and I have been working on that.”
The 2021 Southern Methodist University commit walked down the par-5 ninth at even par on the day. After just missing the putting surface in two, Humphries drained a 40-foot eagle putt from the fringe to card 2-under 34 on his opening loop.
“After the eagle, I just kind of got lost and started hitting really good shots,” said Humphries, a senior at Westlake High School.
He birdied six of his next seven holes and would go on to shoot 5-under 30 on the back nine. Humphries sits at 11-under par through 36 holes.
The overnight leader, Daniel Zou of The Woodlands, followed his opening round 7-under-par 64 with a 1-under-par 70. Though he didn’t card seven birdies and an ace in Round 2, the 14-year-old’s consistent ball striking led to another round in red figures. He is 8-under through 36 holes and just three shots back of Humphries.
“My full swing was still really good today,” Zou said. “My plan is to play like it is the first round again and forget all the scores and just focus on my game.”
Gaven Lane of Argyle was not to be forgotten this year. The defending champion fired a bogey-free 7-under-par 64 to climb nine spots up the leaderboard. Since the sixth hole of his opening round, Lane has carded 11 birdies and zero bogeys.
“I mean I hit the ball great and the times I didn’t hit the ball great I scrambled well,” Lane said. “I really just tried to stay calm. Even when I hit bad shots I tried to keep my composure and moved on, hitting the best shots I could.”
The 2023 Oklahoma State University commit is four shots off the lead and will look to become the first back-to-back winner since Jordan Spieth won three in a row between 2008-10.
“It came together and I put together a good round,” Lane said. “Hopefully, I can go low tomorrow and take it away.”
Keaton Vo of Austin is fourth at 6-under-par 136. Zach Heffernan of Fair Oaks Ranch, a 2021 Baylor University commit and 2019 Texas Junior Amateur champion, is fifth at 5-under-par 137.
Cole Sherwood of Austin, a 2020 Vanderbilt University commit, is sixth at 4-under-par 138. Nathan Petronzio of Bee Cave, a 2020 Southern Methodist University commit, is seventh at 3-under-par 139. Jackson Davenport of Austin, a 2020 West Virginia University commit, and Andrew Spaulding of Spring are tied eighth at 2-under-par 140. Dallas Hankamer of Temple, a 2021 Texas A&M University commit, rounds out the top ten at 1-under-par 141.
Following Round 2, the field was cut to the top-39 players and ties (44 players made the cut at 6-over par or better). The final round will begin Thursday at 8:00 a.m. For more information on the Veritex Bank Byron Nelson Junior Championship, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post 🏆 Preston Stout and Matthew Comegys are crowned co-champions of the Legends Junior Tour #LJTNorthTXClassic after posting 11-under-par 133 through 36 holes. Ryann Honea and MacKenzie Moore also took home co-champion honors with a one-stroke victory in the Girls 12-18 ... 6 Likes
- 404: Page Not Found | Mailchimp #SaveTheDate: #FunGolf Events are now open in #Houston & #SanAntonio!
Come play in our 2-person scramble at TPC San Antonio (AT&T Oaks Course) on Oct. 14 (gross & net) & Walden on Lake Conroe on Oct. 17 (gross with flights).
- Texas Golf Association Registration Event Portal :: Master Roster Registration The #Fun continues with our most sought after event, the annual #TexasShamble!
📍 Tapatio Springs Hill Country Resort
🏌️♂️ October 30: Practice Round
🏌️♂️ October 31: Round 1 (Includes Lunch)
🏆 November 1: Round 2 (Prizes/Awards/Includes lunch)
There will ... 1 Likes
- 🚨Registration for the #USWomensFourBall Qualifying closes Sept. 9th!
🏆U.S. Women’s Four-Ball Championship
⛳️Maridoe Golf Club
🗓April 24-28, 2021
Local Qualifying Sites:
Rangers Golf Club - Arlington - Sept. 23
Magnolia Creek GC - League City-Nov. 12
Apply to ...
- TGA Announces Fall Event Series for Men and Women 📢 TGA Announces Fall Series Events - a slate of new competitive tournaments for men & women with at least one new event conducted in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and the Austin-San Antonio Hill Country area. Follow the link to learn ... 14 Likes
- Timeline Photos We have two more volunteer days coming up this fall with The Spirit Golf Association at the Houston Food Bank! Follow the links to volunteer:
Monday, September 14
Saturday, October 10
https://buff.ly/2QCnuvG 3 Likes
- Jim Brown Honored with Bob Wells Volunteerism Award We are pleased to announce longtime director & past president Jim Brown has received the Bob Wells Distinguished Service Award, the TGA’s highest honor for individuals who’ve contributed to the growth of the game through volunteerism & meritorious service. 23 CommentsRavi Shah Congratulations from the Shahs. Your service to junior golf has and will continue to leave a profound legacy..Anna Schultz Congratulations Jim!! You are very deserving of this award!Chhaya Shah Congratulations Jim. Couldn’t think of a better person who deserves this recognition.52 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Jason Schultz of Allen and Prosper’s Russell Williams card a final round 6-under-par 66 to go wire-to-wire and win the #Texas4Ball by three strokes at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course. The were 26-under for the championship.
In the ... 2 CommentsMark Ellis Congratulations Russell! That little course in Crockett churns out some excellent players! 😊Clay Hughey Way to go Russell Williams. Congrats to Sparky and Kennedy too. You guys represented East Texas well.21 Likes
- Following their brilliant 12-under-par 60 in Round 1, Russell Williams and Jason Schultz card an 8-under-par 64 in Round 2 at Bentwater Yacht & Country Club's Weiskopf Course to post 20-under through 36 holes and lead the field by three.
... 1 CommentsJeff Atkinson Congrats, heck of a tournament!8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Russell Williams & Jason Schultz have known each other since competing as collegiate golfers in the ‘90s. On Friday, they teamed up to card an opening round 12-under-par 60 at the Texas Four-Ball and lead the field by two strokes.
... 16 Likes
- The Spirit Golf Association Announces Appointment of Charlie Epps, PGA, as Interim President The Spirit Golf Association announced today that long-time PGA Professional Charlie Epps will serve as interim president. Epps has served on the SGA Board of Directors since January 2020. Get the full details by clicking the link below. 5 Likes
- Teammates Faith Delagarza and Amari Smith win back to back #WomensFourBall Championship 🏆
🔢 Leaderboard: https://www.txga.org/womens-four-ball-championship-2020-leaderboard 4 Likes
- 🎥 Sunday at the #TexasAmateur! What a great week @bootranchtx!
A new champion has been crowned! Congratulations, @treybosco! The TGA extends its sincere appreciation to the @bootranchtx staff and membership for their efforts in making the 111th Texas Amateur ... 9 Likes