Four Tied for Lead after Round 1 at 84th Texas Senior Amateur
HOUSTON – On one of the best weather days of the year in Southeast Texas, Westwood Golf Club stood tall against the best senior amateurs in the state. Four players finished at 1-under-par 71 on the classic parkland course to share the lead at the 84th Texas Senior Amateur.
Michael Guerrette from Richmond, Kenneth Coutant from Dallas, Michael Jones from Richardson and Houston’s Gary Durbin – the only players to finish under par – hold a one-shot lead over seven others headed into Saturday’s second round of the 54-hole stroke play major championship.
“It’s a tough golf course,” said Coutant, who finished as the runner-up at the 77th Texas Senior Amateur in 2014. “I hit it well and made a couple putts. If I can keep it in the fairway and out of this tough rough the next couple days, I should do OK.”
Near-perfect playing conditions greeted the competitors in the opening round. After a cool morning that saw temperatures start in the 60s, the mercury hung in the low- and mid-80s for most of the day without much breeze. Still, Westwood’s gnarly rough and tricky green complexes provided plenty of challenges.
“After playing in 100-degree weather all summer, it was so nice to have a break,” Guerrette said. “I was just trying to keep it in the fairway and out of the rough.”
Durbin, the 82nd Texas Senior Amateur champion, had it to 4-under through seven holes. He rolled in birdies on the second, fourth, fifth and seventh holes. He struggled a bit from there, but he remained upbeat and positive after he finished.
“I hit 16 greens today,” he said. “I was really striking the ball nicely. Then I had some long lag putts, and the greens kind of got me a little bit. But it was a good day. I had a lot of putts that touched the lips and could’ve gone in.”
Included in the seven-player logjam at even-par 72 were three players with strong TGA ties. Former Executive Director Rob Addington from Dallas had an impressive birdie-par-birdie-eagle-birdie stretch during the middle of his round. TGA Directors Hollis Sullivan from Westworth Village and Lee Sandlin from Dallas had five and three birdies, respectively.
Addington, Sullivan and Sandlin are tied for fifth place with Jeff Kramer from The Woodlands, Knox Wright from Houston, Bill Jackson from Van Alstyne and Bill Steen from Frisco.
Defending champion John Derrick from Waco shot a 3-over 75 in Round 1. He’s tied for 29th place.
The is the first Texas Senior Amateur and first TGA major championship held at Westwood. The well-conditioned, tree-lined course in southwest Houston has welcomed the TGA several times, however. Westwood has hosted numerous USGA championship qualifying tournaments, such as U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open and U.S. Amateur qualifiers.
Formerly known as Westwood Country Club when it was founded in 1928, the club holds the distinction of being Houston’s second-oldest private club that remains on its original site. Famed Texas architect John Bredemus created Westwood’s initial nine-hole routing. It was expanded to 18 holes in 1957 by Ralph Plummer, who once was an assistant under Bredemus.
There was a major renovation to the course in 2002 by Keith Foster. More recently, Kevin Hargrave completed upgrades in 2018 that included new tee boxes, greens and bunkers.
During Thursday night’s Players’ Reception, Lohner received his 2020 Texas Senior Amateur Player of the Year award. Lohner was the runner-up at the 83rd Texas Senior Amateur, losing in a playoff to John Derrick last summer at Ridgewood Country Club in Waco. Third place West Texas Amateur, T5 at 2020 Texas Four-Ball, T43 at the 2020 Mid-Amateur.
The second round of the 84th Texas Senior Amateur starts Saturday at 8 a.m. For more information, click here.
- Connections Made, History Felt at African American Golf Expo Two USGA staffers recently had the opportunity to bring artifacts and share stories at the inaugural African American Golf Expo and Forum in Atlanta. 4 Likes
- Play it Forward with Youth on Course We believe in the power of golf and we’re passionate about the power of play.
Thank you to #GolfNow and GolfNow users who together have helped subsidize more than 150,000 rounds of golf for #YouthOnCourse members with just their spare ...
- Timeline Photos This past weekend, the TGA entered a group of staff & a #FunGolf Series golf participant in the #Turner12 Golfing for Grads #fundraiser where they placed 1st with a gross score of 53! #Congratulations to Tanner Giles, Zach Madison, Kristen ... 3 CommentsCongratulations !!! Thank you again for participating 💚⛳Wow! Great playing!Sam Hansard Nice post and I just saw your post on Facebook and I took the liberty to visit your ...Sam Hansard Nice post and I just saw your post on Facebook and I took the liberty to visit your ...16 Likes
- High Meadow Ranch Golf Club Play Day Event :: LAST CALL: Grab a partner & head south to #Houston for our upcoming #FunGolf Play Day!
📅 Thurs., Sept. 23 @ 9AM
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble
🏆 Includes 18 holes, range balls, cart & prizes
Follow the 🔗link to register now! 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Fort Worth’s Freddie Janneck rides a final round 4-under 67 to a three shot victory and becomes the 38th #TXMidAm Champion. 🏆
📖 Final Recap: bit.ly/3lfke8F
📶 Leaderboard: bit.ly/38YcXnN
Texas Golf Association is at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. 21 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Aaron Hickman & Ryan O’Rear share the lead heading into Sunday’s final round at the 38th #TXMidAm
📖 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/09/11/orear-and-hickman-share-lead-at-38th-texas-mid-amateur/
📶 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/3196531
Texas Golf Association is at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. 7 Likes
- Timeline Photos 🚨#TGAGiveaway🚨
Don't miss your shot at 3 Custom-Built Edison Golf Wedges! Contest ends Wed., Sept. 15 at midnight.
Texas Golf Association (Facebook & Instagram)
Follow the link for more details!
https://qoo.ly/3dzzj9 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post William Aycock leads by two with 36 holes remaining. He birdied 5 of his last 6 holes to take the round 1 lead. 🔥
📶 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/3196531
#TXMidAm | The Clubs at Houston Oaks 4 CommentsWilliam BlairGo get ‘em William Blair!Thanks Bill! Hit it great all week but needed you there putting for me last two days hahaWilliam Blair hahaha, that’s scaryThanks Bill! Hit it great all week but needed you there putting for me last two days haha11 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers check your email for this exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @ShortPar4. Get your custom Oxford Pullover today, starting at only $45!
Follow the link for TGA Players Box specials for men & women! 1 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers check your email for this exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @ShortPar4. Get your custom UA Polo today, starting at only $35! Sale extended through Friday.
Follow the link for TGA Players Box specials for ...
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congrats to the 2021 Texas Four-Ball Champions Colby Amparan and Gary Ezmerlian 👏🏆
🔸Senior Winners: Ron Finnerty & Tommy Tucker
🔸 Super Senior Winners: Aaron Billings & Richard Koenig
📖 Final Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/29/colby-amparan-and-gary-ezmerlian-win-texas-four-ball/
📶 Results: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association ... 18 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Two teams sit tied atop the leaderboard heading into Sunday’s final round of the #Texas4Ball 😎
Colby Amparan & Gary Ezmerlian as well as Derek Abel and Chris Wheeler share the lead at 12-under par.
📖R2 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/28/two-teams-share-lead-heading-into-final-round-at-texas-four-ball/
... 10 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Round 2 of the #Texas4Ball is underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Apple Rock Course!
💥 Aaron Hickman and Rob Couture lead the field by two as they begin their second round.
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf ... 8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball was suspended due to darkness and will resume tomorrow morning at 7:45 a.m.
Aaron Hickman and Rob Couture currently lead at 9-under par.
📖 R1 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/27/round-one-of-texas-four-ball-suspended-hickman-and-couture-lead/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at ... 2 Likes