Gary Durbin Leads 84th Texas Senior Amateur after 36 Holes
HOUSTON – Gary Durbin is 18 holes away from winning the 84th Texas Senior Amateur. The Houston resident fired a tidy 2-under-par 70 in Saturday’s second round at Westwood Golf Club and leads Lee Sandlin from Dallas by two shots headed into Sunday’s final round.
Durbin, who rolled in three birdies Saturday against a lone bogey, also won the 82nd playing of the Texas Senior Amateur, a two-shot victory at Deerwood Club in Kingwood in 2019. Through 36 holes this time around, he sits at 3-under 141. The accomplished amateur has made winning a habit in his hometown.
Durbin won the Greater Houston City Amateur twice (1989, ’91), and he captured the Greater Houston City Senior Amateur in 2012. He’d love to further validate his 2019 Texas Senior Am championship with a victory tomorrow.
“To win a tournament as prestigious as this one a second time, it would be awesome,” he said.
Durbin hit 16 greens in regulation for the second straight day, which is easier to do at Westwood from the fairway. The rough at the classic parkland course in Southwest Houston is thick and unpredictable, as several players have noted.
“I’m driving the ball well, which is important with the high rough out here,” Durbin said. “I made two long putts for birdie, but I had about four or five putts under 15 feet that I didn’t make. The greens are tough. The golf course is set up fair, but it’s tough.”
Sitting two shots back is Sandlin, a TGA Director and longtime supporter of amateur golf in Texas. Sandlin shot 1-under 71 on Saturday. He’s posted 1-under 143 through 36 holes.
“I hit 15 greens yesterday,” Sandlin said. “I was all over the place today and just managed to get the ball in the hole, which is probably what I do best. I struggled off the tee; the rough is really tough. You have to play for a flyer, but it’s a guessing game a lot of the time.”
Chuck Gardner from Texarkana and former TGA Executive Director Rob Addington are one shot behind Sandlin and three behind Durbin at even-par 144. Gardner made three birdies on his way to a 1-under 71 in the second round.
Addington, meanwhile, shot an even-par 72 Saturday that also included three birdies. He was the TGA’s Executive Director from 2001-18. In addition to growing the TGA into one of the strongest Allied Golf Associations in the country, Addington conducted numerous championships over the years, including several Texas Senior Amateurs.
He said it’s a lot of fun to be on the other side of the ropes as a competitor this week.
“It’s been a blast to play,” Addington said. “The staff does such an amazing job. It’s very enjoyable. I probably haven’t played in an individual tournament in 20 years. It’s a lot of fun to compete. To play well is just a bonus.”
Richmond’s Michael Guerrette holds fifth place alone at 1-over 145. He posted 3-over 74 on Saturday. Six players share a piece of sixth place at 2-over 146, including defending champion John Derrick from Waco.
Saturday blessed the competitors with another sun-kissed day of near-perfect scoring conditions. After a cool morning, the temperature rose to the mid-80s and stayed there all day with little wind.
Sixty-three players advanced through Saturday’s 36-hole cut at 9-over 153.
Although he missed the cut, Beaumont’s Charlie Jabbia provided some fireworks Saturday morning. He aced the 168-yard, 15th hole with a 6-iron.
“It was into the sun,” he said. “I hit it good, but I couldn’t see it go in. I looked with my rangefinder and couldn’t see it, so I thought I might’ve hit it over the green. But then the guys on the next tee box were hooting and hollering, so I knew it went in.”
It was Jabbia’s second hole-in-one, both which have come during competitions.
The second round of the 84th Texas Senior Amateur starts Sunday at 8 a.m. For more information, click here.
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Four Tied for Lead after Round 1 at 84th Texas Senior Amateur
HOUSTON – On one of the best weather days of the year in Southeast Texas, Westwood Golf Club stood tall against the best senior amateurs in the state. ... 9 Likes
- Connections Made, History Felt at African American Golf Expo Two USGA staffers recently had the opportunity to bring artifacts and share stories at the inaugural African American Golf Expo and Forum in Atlanta. 4 Likes
- Play it Forward with Youth on Course We believe in the power of golf and we’re passionate about the power of play.
Thank you to #GolfNow and GolfNow users who together have helped subsidize more than 150,000 rounds of golf for #YouthOnCourse members with just their spare ...
- Timeline Photos This past weekend, the TGA entered a group of staff & a #FunGolf Series golf participant in the #Turner12 Golfing for Grads #fundraiser where they placed 1st with a gross score of 53! #Congratulations to Tanner Giles, Zach Madison, Kristen ... 3 CommentsCongratulations !!! Thank you again for participating 💚⛳Wow! Great playing!Sam Hansard Nice post and I just saw your post on Facebook and I took the liberty to visit your ...Sam Hansard Nice post and I just saw your post on Facebook and I took the liberty to visit your ...16 Likes
- High Meadow Ranch Golf Club Play Day Event :: LAST CALL: Grab a partner & head south to #Houston for our upcoming #FunGolf Play Day!
📅 Thurs., Sept. 23 @ 9AM
🏌️♂️ 2-Person Scramble
🏆 Includes 18 holes, range balls, cart & prizes
Follow the 🔗link to register now! 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Fort Worth’s Freddie Janneck rides a final round 4-under 67 to a three shot victory and becomes the 38th #TXMidAm Champion. 🏆
📖 Final Recap: bit.ly/3lfke8F
📶 Leaderboard: bit.ly/38YcXnN
Texas Golf Association is at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. 21 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Aaron Hickman & Ryan O’Rear share the lead heading into Sunday’s final round at the 38th #TXMidAm
📖 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/09/11/orear-and-hickman-share-lead-at-38th-texas-mid-amateur/
📶 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/3196531
Texas Golf Association is at The Clubs at Houston Oaks. 7 Likes
- Timeline Photos 🚨#TGAGiveaway🚨
Don't miss your shot at 3 Custom-Built Edison Golf Wedges! Contest ends Wed., Sept. 15 at midnight.
Texas Golf Association (Facebook & Instagram)
Follow the link for more details!
https://qoo.ly/3dzzj9 2 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post William Aycock leads by two with 36 holes remaining. He birdied 5 of his last 6 holes to take the round 1 lead. 🔥
📶 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/3196531
#TXMidAm | The Clubs at Houston Oaks 4 CommentsWilliam BlairGo get ‘em William Blair!Thanks Bill! Hit it great all week but needed you there putting for me last two days hahaWilliam Blair hahaha, that’s scaryThanks Bill! Hit it great all week but needed you there putting for me last two days haha11 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers check your email for this exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @ShortPar4. Get your custom Oxford Pullover today, starting at only $45!
Follow the link for TGA Players Box specials for men & women! 1 Likes
- TGA Players Box #TGAMembers check your email for this exclusive #TexasTuesday deal, brought to you by the #TGAPlayersBox X @ShortPar4. Get your custom UA Polo today, starting at only $35! Sale extended through Friday.
Follow the link for TGA Players Box specials for ...
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Congrats to the 2021 Texas Four-Ball Champions Colby Amparan and Gary Ezmerlian 👏🏆
🔸Senior Winners: Ron Finnerty & Tommy Tucker
🔸 Super Senior Winners: Aaron Billings & Richard Koenig
📖 Final Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/29/colby-amparan-and-gary-ezmerlian-win-texas-four-ball/
📶 Results: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association ... 18 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Two teams sit tied atop the leaderboard heading into Sunday’s final round of the #Texas4Ball 😎
Colby Amparan & Gary Ezmerlian as well as Derek Abel and Chris Wheeler share the lead at 12-under par.
📖R2 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/28/two-teams-share-lead-heading-into-final-round-at-texas-four-ball/
... 10 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Round 2 of the #Texas4Ball is underway from Horseshoe Bay Resort’s Apple Rock Course!
💥 Aaron Hickman and Rob Couture lead the field by two as they begin their second round.
Texas Golf Association is at AppleRock Golf ... 8 Likes
- Photos from Texas Golf Association's post Round 1 of the #Texas4Ball was suspended due to darkness and will resume tomorrow morning at 7:45 a.m.
Aaron Hickman and Rob Couture currently lead at 9-under par.
📖 R1 Recap: https://www.txga.org/2021/08/27/round-one-of-texas-four-ball-suspended-hickman-and-couture-lead/
🔢 Leaderboard: golfgenius.com/pages/2863285
Texas Golf Association is at ... 2 Likes